Error: BOOTMGR is missing
This document pertains to HP and Compaq desktop PCs that came with Windows 7.
The following error opens when attempting to start the PC:
BOOTMGR is missing
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the PC
If you recently installed an additional hard drive, turn off the computer and remove the drive before using the following steps:
- Open HP System Recovery:CAUTION:Do not perform a system recovery! Stop at the first recovery screen.
- Press the F11 key repeatedly while the computer is starting.
- If you have a recovery disc, turn on the PC and insert the first recovery disc into the drive. Use the disc to enter the system recovery.
- Select Microsoft Startup Repair tool and wait for repair to find and fix errors. When finished, restart the computer; even if the startup repair tool finds errors but cannot fix them.
- If the error message persists, open the recovery manager screen as was done in step 1.
- At the recovery manager screen, press ALT + D.
- Enter the following text at the command prompt: bootrec /rebuildbcd
- If bootrec displays "Add installation to boot list?", press y .After bootrec completes successfully, the computer displays "The operation completed successfully".
- To close the command prompt, enter the following text: exit
- At the Recovery Manager screen, select Microsoft Startup Repair tool (again) and wait for startup repair to find and fix errors. When finished, restart the computer.
- The error should no longer open. If it does, perform a system recovery, making sure to backup important files.
If you removed a hard drive before using these steps, replace the drive. If the error occurs again, make sure the additional hard drive is not set as an active drive. Only the main bootable drive should be set as active.