Replacing the Cartridge
Replace the print cartridge
When a print cartridge approaches the end of useful life, you can continue printing with the current cartridge until redistributing the toner no longer yields acceptable print quality.
Video of replacing the print cartridge
The following video demonstrates how to replace a print cartridge.
NOTE:This video shows an HP LaserJet M1212 Multifunction printer, but the steps are the same for your printer.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
- Lift the scanner assembly, and open the print-cartridge door.Figure 1: Scanner and print-cartridge door
- Remove the old print cartridge.Figure 2: Remove the print cartridge
- Remove the new print cartridge from the packaging. Place the used print cartridge in the bag and box for recycling.Recycle the used print cartridgeCAUTION:To prevent damage to the print cartridge, hold the print cartridge at each end. Do not touch the cartridge shutter or the roller surface.
- Grasp both sides of the print cartridge and gently rock the print cartridge to distribute the toner evenly inside the cartridge.Figure 4: Rocking motion
- Bend the tab on the left side of the cartridge until the tab breaks loose, and then pull the tab until all the tape is removed from the cartridge. Place the tab and tape in the print-cartridge box to return for recycling.Figure 5: Remove the sealing tape
- Install the print cartridge.Figure 6: Install the print cartridge
- Close the print-cartridge door and the scanner assembly.Scanner and print-cartridge doorCAUTION:If toner gets on your clothing, wipe it off with a dry cloth and wash the clothing in cold water. Hot water sets toner into the fabric.