Using HP MediaSmart Software Home Video Feature
This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows 7.
HP MediaSmart software, installed on many HP notebook PCs shipped with Windows 7, allows you to edit your home and organize home videos, add effects, make a home video movie, and upload your home videos directly to YouTube.
Use the HP MediaSmart Home Video interface to do the following:
- Edit home videos - Adjust lighting, stabilize shaky videos, rotate clips, and trim clips.
- Organize home videos - Rate videos, tag clips, create playlists, and search for your home videos.
- Make a home video movie - Edit your home videos and then add voice-overs, put the movie to music, and select an output format.
Get the latest version of MediaSmart Music/Video/Picture (MVP)
MediaSmart MVP software is pre-installed on some notebook models delivered with Windows 7, and is available for installation on notebooks that were upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 using the HP Windows Update program.
To download the MediaSmart software, go to the Software & Driver downloads web page. Enter the model or product number, and then select the installed operating system.
MediaSmart Music Video Picture (MVP) is part of a suite of MediaSmart programs you may wish to download and install all of the appropriate MediaSmart modules. Alternately, you can download the current MediaSmart MVP module.
Launch MediaSmart Software Home Video feature
To open the MediaSmart software home video feature, double-click the MediaSmart icon CLK on the desktop and then select the home video icon from the MediaSmart task bar.
Edit home videos
To correct and adjust the sections of your home video, cut the original home video into shorter sections, save them as separate files, and then use the tools to adjust the sections.
Edit your favorite home videos by using the different tools that are available.
- Adjust lighting - Adjust the lighting your video that is a little dark or too washed out by using the auto-fix lighting tool. Click your video, click Edit , and then select either Auto Fix Lighting to have the lighting in your video automatically adjusted or manually adjust the lighting using the adjustment bar.Once the changes have been made click Preview and then click Apply if the movie looks the way you like.
- Stabilize shaky videos - Smooth shaky videos from handheld cameras with the auto-stabilization tool. Click your video, click Edit , and then select either Fix Shaky Video to have the shaking in your video automatically adjusted or manually adjust the lighting using the adjustment bar.Once the changes have been made click Preview and then click Apply if the movie looks the way you like.
- Rotate clips - Turn the video segment that was filmed side-ways by rotating video clips and make adjustments while the video is playing. Click your video, click Edit , and then click Rotate Right .Once the changes have been made click Preview and then click Apply if the movie looks the way you like.
- Trim clips - Trim clips to your desired length. Click your video, click Edit , and then adjust the tabs to the area you would like to trim your video. You can view the original duration and current duration in the right pane of the window.
Organize home videos
HP MediaSmart home video makes it easy to search your home videos by clicking a tab at the top of the HP MediaSmart home video window. Search your home videos using any of the categories listed below.
- Dates - Search your home video collection by the last few days, month, or even year.
- Folders - Browse home videos by folders by viewing the names of your folders.
- Ratings - Rate your home videos from best (5 stars) to worst (1 star) and then search for your highest rated home videos.
- All Videos - See every home video that you have uploaded to HP MediaSmart home video.
- Playlists - Browse through the playlists you have created.
- External drive - View the home videos that are on your media or flash drive. The drive will only appear on the menu bar when the USB or other drive is connected.
You can also tag home videos by adding the names of people, places, and things in your home videos with tabs for quick reference, sorting and search. For example, if you have a home video of your dog Bruno in the yard, you could add “dog,” “Bruno” and “yard” tags to the home video. When you want to see that home video, simply click Search at the bottom left of the HP MediaSmart home video window, enter those tags into the search box and HP MediaSmart home video will find that exact home video for you. Using multiple tags per home video also gives you the flexibility to organize home videos by various categories.
Make a home video movie
HP MediaSmart home video makes it easy to create quick home video movies for celebrations, gifts or any time you want to enjoy the recorded memory. To make a movie out of your home videos, follow these steps.
- Click Make Movie at the bottom of the HP MediaSmart home video window.
- Click the videos and video clips you would like to add to your movie, drag and drop into the Select Videos list. Continue until all of your videos are added to the Select Videos list panel at the right in the HP MediaSmart home video application.
- Arrange the videos and video clips in the order by clicking and dragging them in order and then click Next .
- Use the editing tools in the task bar at the top of the HP MediaSmart home video window to edit your movie.
- Style - Select a movie style that would compliment the home videos you have collected for the movie. HP MediaSmart home video will automatically create the movie based on the style you select.
- Trim - Shorten the video with the trim-video feature.
- Fix - Rotate clips, adjust lighting and smooth shaky videos using the easy editing tools.
- Voice Over - Introduce your movie or describe certain clips by recording voice-overs for selected scenes.
- Music - Create a soundtrack for your movie by adding your favorite songs or playlists from your HP MediaSmart Music Library.
- Preview - Make sure the movie looks the way you want it to look.
- Once you’ve got your movie just the way you want it, choose the output format you’d like: MPEG-2, WMV large or WMV small, and then enter the name of your home video in the File Name field. You can also select Upload to YouTube to upload your new movie directly to YouTube from the HP MediaSmart home movie application. Click Next to finish creating your movie.