Unhandled Exception Error for HP Help and Support Update
This document pertains to HP and Compaq notebook PCs with Windows 7.
The following error opens while attempting to install an update to HP Help and Support:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.
Could not find the following path:
Or, the following "Microsoft .NET Framework" error opens when attempting to update HP Help and Support from the HP Web site:
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\ProgramData\Hewlett-Packard\HPHelpUpdater\eHelpInstallOEM\Misc'.
Edit the registry and re-install the Help and Support
To fix these errors do the following:
- Click Start and type regedit into the Search field.
- Click Regedit from the search results list.
- If a User Account Control window opens, click Yes.The Registry Editor window opens.
- With Computer selected in the left window pane, click File and select Export.
- Type a name that is easy to remember and click Save. Wait until Registry Editor creates the export file. When it is finished, a copy of the registry settings are saved to the Documents folder. You can double-click this file in the event something goes wrong and you need to restore the registry.
- Double-click the following keys in the order they appear:
- If the key HPHelpUpdater is listed, right-click the key HPHelpUpdater and select Delete. Click Yes on the Confirm Key delete window.
- Go back and double-click the following keys in the order they appear:
- If the key OEMsessionStateStr is listed, right-click the key OEMsessionStateStr and select Delete. Click Yes on the Confirm Key delete window.
- Restart the computer. The error should no longer appear.NOTE: After performing these steps, it is a good idea to download and install the latest updates to HP Suport Assistant from the HP Customer Care Software & Driver page for your HP computer.