Using the HP Embedded Web Server
Use the HP Embedded Web Server (EWS) to view product and network status and to manage printing functions from a computer. Your product must be connected to an Ethernet network to open the EWS.
With the EWS, you can complete the following tasks:
- View product status information
- Determine the remaining life on all supplies and order new ones
- View and change the product default configuration settings
- View and change network configuration
You do not need to install any software on the computer. You only need to use one of these supported Web browsers:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 (and later)
- Firefox 1.0 (and later)
- Mozilla 1.6 (and later)
- Opera 7.0 (and later)
- Safari 1.2 (and later)
- Konqueror 3.2 (and later)
The HP Embedded Web Server works when the product is connected to a TCP/IP-based network. The HP Embedded Web Server does not support IPX-based connections or direct USB connections.
NOTE:You do not have to have Internet access to open and use the HP Embedded Web Server. However, if you click a link on any of the pages, you must have Internet access to go to the site associated with the link.
To open the HP Embedded Web Server, type the IP address or host name of the product in the address field of a supported Web browser, and then press Enter on your keyboard.
If you do not know the product IP address, follow these steps to print a self-test report, which lists the IP address.
- Make sure that the product is idle and the Ready light ( ) is on.
- Press and hold the Resume button ( ) for two to three seconds, and then release the button. The product prints a self-test report and a supplies status page.
NOTE:If an error occurs while opening the HP EWS, confirm that the proxy settings are correct for your network.
|After you open the HP EWS, bookmark the URL so that you can return to it quickly in the future.|
Review the following sections about the HP EWS features.
The Status tab contains links to the following pages:
- Device Status : Displays the status of the product and HP supplies.
- Supplies Status : Shows the approximate percent life remaining of HP supplies (print cartridges). The page also provides supplies part numbers and recycling information.When the estimated life remaining of a supply is less than 10%, but has not reached the estimated end of life, Less Than 10% displays on the page. When a supply reaches its estimated end of life –% displays. Actual supply life remaining can vary. Consider having a replacement supply available to install when print quality is no longer acceptable. The supply does not need to be replaced unless the print quality is no longer acceptable. When an HP supply has reached Very Low , HP’s Premium Protection Warranty on that supply ends. To order new supplies, click Shop for Supplies in the upper-right part of the window.The imaging drum's estimated remaining life and installation date displays when less than approximately 30% of its estimated life remains.
- Device Configuration : Shows the information found on the Configuration page.
- Network Summary : Summarizes the network settings. This page is available only when the product is connected to a network.
- Reports : Lists the following report pages you can print from the HP EWS.
- Config Report
- Supplies Status
- Event Log : This page logs events associated with the product.
Use the System tab to configure the product from your computer. The following list describes the contents of the System tab.
- Paper Setup : Change the paper handling defaults for the product
- Print Quality : Change the print quality defaults for the product, including calibration settings
- Print Density : Change the print density for contrasts, highlights, midtones, and shadows
- Paper Types : Change the paper type specifications
- System Setup : Contains the following settings:
- Cartridge at Very Low
- Auto on and Auto off
- Restore system defaults
- Service : Contains the following options:
- Cleaning Mode, which cleans the inside of the product
- Print the Print Quality troubleshooting page
- Product Security : Change administrator password
The Networking tab contains the following pages:
- Network Summary : Available only when the product is connected to an IP-based network.
- IPv4 Configuration : Change the IPv4 settings
- IPv6 Configuration : Change the IPv6 settings
- Wireless Configuration : Turn the Wireless setting on or off
- Network Identification : Change the Network Identification settings
- Advanced : Turn the following settings on or off:
- LPD Printing
- WS Discovery
- SNMP : Turn the SNMP settings on or off
Each HP EWS tab contains a Shop for Supplies link and a Support link, located in the upper-right corner of each tab. You must have Internet access to use any of these links. If you use a dial-up connection and did not connect when you first opened the HP EWS, you must connect before you can visit these Web sites. Connecting might require that you close the HP EWS and reopen it. The following list describes the two links.
- Shop for Supplies . Click this link to connect to the Sure Supply Web site and order genuine HP supplies (print cartridges) from HP or a reseller of your choice.
- Support . Connects to the product support site. You can search for help regarding general topics.