Enable Number Lock with the On-Screen Keyboard
This document pertains to HP Envy notebook PCs.
Some HP Envy notebook computers come with integrated numeric keypads. However, the numeric keypad used in these computers differs from the standard numeric keypad in that it does not have a dedicated number lock key (Num Lock ) with which to toggle between numeric input and other functions. By default, the numeric keypad is always On , allowing for number input only. In some situations, the numeric keypad is inadvertently turned Off . If the numeric keypad gets turned off, you can use the Windows On-Screen Keyboard to turn it back on.
Enabling Number Lock with the On-Screen Keyboard
To enable Number Lock with the On-Screen Keyboard:
- Click Start , type on-screen in the search field, then select On-Screen Keyboard from the search results list.
- When the On-Screen Keyboard displays, click Options .
- In the Options window, select Turn on numeric keypad , then click the OK button to save the change.
- The On-Screen Keyboard now displays a numeric keypad. Click NumLock to enable the numeric keypad on your HP Envy series notebook.
- Close the On-Screen Keyboard.
This permanently enables the Num Lock feature on your HP Envy computer. If you want to turn it off, open the On-Screen Keyboard and select the NumLock button again.