Computer Shuts Down Unexpectedly or Hangs During Initial Startup
Information in this document applies to HP TouchSmart 520 and HP TouchSmart Elite 7320 All-in-One Desktop PCs with Exige2 1GB MXM graphics cards.
HP TouchSmart computers configured with the Exige2 1GB MXM graphics card (HP part 653732-001) may shut down during graphics intensive activity such as when watching movies, or the computer may hang during the initial setup and display the following error:
Windows cannot complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.
Use the following steps to recover the computer if needed and prevent unexpected shut downs:
NOTE: All systems must be updated to BIOS Version 7.05 (or later) to prevent the intermittent shutdowns.
- If the computer is hanging during the initial setup and you cannot start the computer, recover the computer:
- Shut off the computer by pressing and holding the power button until the computer powers off.
- Turn on the computer by pressing the power button.
- When the computer first starts, press the F11 key repeatedly, about once every second, until Recovery Manager loads.
- In Recovery Manager, click System Recovery.
- Select Recover without backing up your files, and then click Next
- Click OK in the warning that appears and wait until recovery finishes.
- After the system recovery is complete, click Finish to restart the computer.
- When the computer restarts, complete the setup of your computer including setup of an Internet connection.Your computer still needs to have the BIOS updated. Continue to the next step after you finish setting up your computer.For more information about HP System Recovery, see Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows 7 .
- In Windows 7, connect to the Internet and open an Internet Browser, such as Internet Explorer.NOTE: If your TouchSmart computer does not have an Internet connection, go to another computer with an Internet connection to download and save the BIOS update softpaq to external storage media, such as a CD or USB storage drive. You can update the BIOS on your TouchSmart by opening the softpaq from the external storage media.
- Use one of the following links, depending on your model of TouchSmart PC, to download and install a BIOS update that fixes this issue:
- Install the BIOS update according the directions listed on the download page.