AT&T 2Wire Routers: 'Failure to Connect' or 'Unable to Find the Printer' Message, or Unable to Connect to a Wireless Network
You are using an AT&T 2Wire router, and your HP product does not connect to your wireless network.
One of these issues occurs:
- Wireless Setup Wizard . The product control panel displays a 'Connection Success ' message, but the blue Wireless light ( ) blinks (except on HP ENVY products).
- Wireless Setup Wizard . The product control panel displays a 'Failure to connect ' message.
- HP product software installation . An error message opens in a window on the computer: 'Unable to Find the Printer ,' and the HP product has an invalid IP addressthat prevents the wireless network connection.A numeric code that uniquely identifies a device, like a computer or a printer, on a network.
- Wireless Network Test Report . The report indicates that more than one access point or wireless router has been found that matches your wireless network name (SSID).
- Wireless Network Test Report . The report reads "Not Connected" and there is no IP address listed for the printer, or the IP address is listed as "Not Applicable."
Follow these steps to connect the HP product to the AT&T 2Wire router.
Step one: Determine the network connection status
Follow these steps to determine the status of the network connection.
- Use one of the following methods to check the status of the network connection, depending on your model:
- Touch the Wireless icon ( ) on the home screen of the product control panel.
- Press the Wireless button ( ) on the product control panel.
- Print a Wireless Network Test Report from the Wireless Settings menu.
- Depending on the network connection status, complete one of the following actions:
- If the product is connected with an invalid IP address of 169.254.XXX.XXX , skip to the step, Reset the router .
- If the product is not connected , if there is no IP address listed, or if the IP address is listed as "Not Applicable," continue to the next step.
Step two: Retain the Wireless Setup Wizard settings
When you previously ran the Wireless Setup Wizard, if you selected Retain Current Settings , continue to the step, Reset the router .
If you selected Restore Previous Settings , run the Wireless Setup Wizard again by continuing with these steps.
- From the product control panel, select Wireless Setup Wizard .
- Follow the wizard prompts, and when a 'Failure to connect ' message displays, select Continue .
- Select Retain Current Settings , even though the product failed to connect.
Step three: Reset the router
Follow these steps to reset the AT&T 2Wire router.
- With the power on, disconnect the power cord from the router.
- Wait at least 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cord to the router.
- Wait a few minutes for the router to initialize.The product should now be connected to the wireless network with a valid IP address of 192.168.X.XXX.
- Install your HP product's software, if you have not already done so.
Click the plus sign () for more information.
You can download and install a tool that helps to identify and fix common problems when installing or using HP products on your wireless network.
Follow these steps to download and install the HP Print and Scan Doctor on your computer.
NOTE:The HP Print and Scan Doctor might not be available for all HP printers, particularly older products. It is available for most products, however, and in most languages.This tool is available only for Windows operating systems. The tool is not available for Mac OS operating systems.
- Click the following link to download the HP Print and Scan Doctor.
Link to tool File size HP Print and Scan Doctor 3.5 MB
- Make sure your computer meets the system requirements, and then click Download .
- When the Security Warning dialog box opens, choose one of the following methods to download the utility.
- In the Security Warning dialog box, click Run .
- When the Download Complete dialog box opens, click Run , and then click Run again on the Security Warning dialog box.
- In the Security Warning dialog box, click Save .
- When the Save As window opens, browse to your Desktop, and then click Save .
- When the download is complete, browse to where you saved the file, and then double-click the file to run the utility.
- The Print and Scan Doctor opens, searches for installed printers, and then displays the list.