Replacing the Cartridges
This document contains steps for replacing the cartridges.
To purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer, go to HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Go to HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country/region location is correct.
Genuine HP cartridges can also be purchased from other retailers.
Replace the cartridges
Video of replacing the cartridges
The following video demonstrates how to replace cartridges.
NOTE:This video shows the HP Officejet 4620 e-All-in-One Printer series, but the steps are the same for your printer.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Follow these steps to replace the cartridges.
- Press the Power button () to turn on the product, if it is not already on.
- Locate the two slots on the sides of the product.
- Place your fingers in the slots on the right and left sides of the product, and then lift to open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves into the carriage access area.
- Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before proceeding.
- Press the tab inward on the front of the old cartridge to release it, and then pull up on the cartridge to remove it from the slot.
- Pull the orange pull tab straight back to remove the new cartridge from its packaging.CAUTION:Make sure you remove the orange pull-tab completely and the label is slightly torn before you remove the orange cap in the next step, or ink can leak.
- Twist the protective orange cap counter-clockwise to snap it off the cartridge.
- Hold the cartridge so that the cartridge contacts are facing toward the product.
- Match the colored dot on the cartridge with the dot of the same color on the carriage.
- Slide the new cartridge into its slot, and then gently press the cartridge down until it clicks into place.NOTE:Make sure that the colored dot on the cartridge label matches the colored dot on the slot.
- Repeat these steps for other cartridges, if necessary.
- Close the cartridge access door.Figure 7: Close the cartridge access door