After Upgrading to Windows 8 the Printer Icons on My Desktop No Longer Work
This document is for any HP printer manufactured after 2010 that has the Full Feature Windows 8 software installed on the computer.
After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8, the printer icons that access scanning and printer settings no longer work. This occurs because the links between the icons and the drivers were broken during the upgrade.
NOTE:If you are not using the latest version of Windows 8, the information in this document might not match. You can get the latest version from the Microsoft Store.
Uninstall and then reinstall the printer software.
Step 1: Uninstall the software
Follow these steps to uninstall the software.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to a network, leave it connected.
- Press the Power button to turn on the printer.
- Right-click the Start button () or the lower left corner of the screen, and then click Programs and Features.
- Right-click your HP printer's name, and then click Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the software.
- Repeat these steps for each occurrence of your printer's name until none remain in the list.
- Click OK to close the error message.
- Right-click the Start button () in the lower left corner of the screen, click Search, and then type administrative tools.
- Click Administrative Tools in the results.
- Double-click Print Management, and then double-click All Drivers.
- Find every instance of the printer you are trying to uninstall, right-click the name, and then click Delete.
- Close the Print Management window, return to Programs and Features, and then continue uninstalling the remaining printer software.
If an error message displays while you are uninstalling the software, follow these steps.
Step 2: Download and install the Full Feature Windows 8 driver
Follow these instructions to download and install the Full Feature driver from the HP website.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads .
- If the Welcome to HP Support page opens, follow these steps:
- Type your printer model number.
- Click Go.You might need to select your printer model number from a list of similar printer models.
- Select your operating system, and then click Next.A list of drivers and other downloads display.
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver - Product Installation Software.
- Click Download next to the full feature or solution software and driver listed, and then follow the on-screen instructions to save the driver to your computer.