Using HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader (Windows 8)
A fingerprint reader is a security device that uses a scanned image of your fingerprint to authenticate your identity. With fingerprint security software you can log on to applications and secure websites by scanning your fingerprint instead of typing your user name and password on the keyboard.
To use a fingerprint reader, there must be at least one Windows User account, and that account should require a password to log on to Windows. You can register a new fingerprint or website at any time.
HP SimplePass includes the following features:
- Windows Log On - Secure fingerprint log on for Windows. After you lock your desktop, log off, or reboot your computer, SimplePass prompts you to swipe any enrolled finger to verify your identity and grant you access to your computer.
- Website Log On - Easily log on to password-protected websites with the swipe of your finger.
- QuickLaunch - One swipe to launch news, sports, and your social life.
- LaunchSite - Easy access to all your registered websites.
Setting up SimplePass
You enroll your fingerprints by scanning each finger several times so SimplePass can capture a consistent image of your finger. After enrolling one fingerprint, SimplePass prompts you to set up your Windows log on.
Follow the steps below:
- At the Windows 8 Start screen, type HP SimplePass . In the search results, click HP SimplePass to open the program.
- Click the finger you want to enroll. A blue circle displays on the fingertip.
- Swipe the selected finger over the sensor. Follow the instructions on the screen, continuing to swipe as requested.
- To use SimplePass to log on to Windows, click Set Up Windows Log On in the successful enrollment message.NOTE:To disable Windows log on, navigate to Windows Control Panel and search for Biometric Devices . Select Change Biometric Settings .
- Type your Windows password, and then click OK .
Adding or deleting fingerprints
It is best to enroll your index finger and at least two other fingers. You can enroll additional fingers at any time.
- To open HP SimplePass, at the Windows 8 Start screen, type HP SimplePass. In the search results, click HP SimplePass .
- Before you can make any changes, you must scan your finger to verify your identity.
- Click the finger you want to enroll, and then swipe the selected finger over the sensor. Follow the instructions on the screen, continuing to swipe as requested.
- To delete a fingerprint, right-click an enrolled (green highlighted) finger and click Delete finger .NOTE:Before deleting your last enrolled finger, make sure you remember your Windows user account password. Windows requires your password to unlock the computer. You might also want to print all webcards as well, so you have a record of your logins and passwords.
Registering a website
After a fingerprint is enrolled, you can register and manage your secure logons for applications or websites. HP SimplePass collects the user name, password, and any other required values for logging in. Registering a website creates an icon and a webcard for that icon. The webcard displays the website name, address, user name, password, and other applicable information associated with the icon.
NOTE:Supported browsers include Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.
You must have a valid user account on the computer and enroll a fingerprint for that account before you can register any password protected sites. Follow the steps below to register a website.
- Open a web browser and navigate to one of your secure websites.
- Type your Username and Password , and click Log In .
- A SimplePass message displays at the top of the page.Select Always remember my passwords to set up all the websites you log on to in the future.Then click Yes to allow SimplePass to remember your password for this site.
Logging on to a registered website
With QuickLaunch, you can assign icons to an enrolled finger and then swipe your finger to launch the icons assigned to that finger.
- Drag an icon for a registered site to an enrolled finger.
- To open the site, swipe that finger across the sensor. SimplePass does not have to be open to launch your assigned icons.
- To delete an icon assigned to an enrolled finger, right-click the icon and click Delete . The icon is no longer associated with that finger.
LaunchSite provides easy assess to all of your registered websites. After installing SimplePass, the LaunchSite icon displays on the taskbar on the Windows desktop. You can start LaunchSite from anywhere in Windows - either the Windows 8 Start screen or the desktop.
- To see a list of all your registered websites, swipe any of your fingers that have no other action assigned to them over the sensor. You do not need to click the LaunchSite icon on the taskbar.LaunchSite opens automatically. Click the icon to open the corresponding site.NOTE:You do not need to swipe your finger again to open a registered website. Doing so opens the LaunchSite again.
- To search for a website, type the first few letters of the name. Click the icon to open the corresponding site.
To remove LaunchSite from the taskbar on the desktop, change the setting.
When you log on to a website, SimplePass creates a webcard with the log on, password, and other information.
Searching for a webcard - To search for a webcard, type a name in the Search box. Matching icons display as you type in the Search box. You can search for a URL, part of a URL, or for a saved webcard name.
Editing a webcard - You can change the icon or password, or register additional accounts for the website.
The following steps demonstrate how to edit a webcard to change the password:
- Click the Edit Webcard icon on the right side of the website name.
- Click the Edit button. If prompted, swipe an enrolled finger over the sensor to verify your identity.
- The password is shown in plain text. Type a new password, and click Save .NOTE:To hide the password, click the Edit button.
Printing a web card - You can print the webcards containing your login and password information. After printing, store the webcards in a secure place.
- To print a webcard, in the Manage my Websites list, click the website to select it.
- Click the print Print icon.
- When prompted, swipe a finger over the sensor to verify your identity.
- Select the printer and click Print .SimplePass prints the webcard.
Installing or updating the drivers and software
The fingerprint reader drivers and the security applications are designed to work on specific models and operating systems. All of the device drivers and security applications designed and approved for the original configuration of your notebook are available on the HP Drivers and Downloads support website. Both drivers (Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver) and security software (HP SimplePass) are available.
NOTE:The drivers and programs used on one model may not be compatible and may not work with other models.
Follow the steps below to install or update the fingerprint sensor drivers or security software.
- Go to the HP Drivers and Downloads page for your model.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. Enter your model number or product number.
- Select Software and Driver downloads .
- Click your operating system under Select operating system .
- After clicking the operating system, find and select one of the following:
- In the Software - Security section, click HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software .
- In the Driver - Keyboard, Mouse, and Input Devices section, click Validity Fingerprint Sensor Driver .
- Click Download , and then Save the file to convenient location on your hard drive, such as the desktop on the computer.
- Double-click the downloaded file and follow the instructions to install the driver or software.
Frequently Asked Questions
Refer to this section for answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about HP Simple Pass.
How do I find the SimplePass version?
To find the version number, click Help , and then click About .
The About screen displays with the version number.
How can I get help for HP SimplePass?
If you need help using SimplePass, click the Help icon and click Get more help .
SimplePass Help displays on the screen. Browse through the categories in the left pane to find the help you need.
You may also get help at the Authentec website at support.authentec.com
How do I clean the fingerprint reader?
Clean the fingerprint reader periodically to ensure optimum performance. Use the following steps:
- Dampen a lint-free cloth or cotton swab with isopropyl alcohol.
- Gently rub the cloth horizontally across the sensor surface, starting from the top and moving down until entire sensor area is clean.
- Repeat the process 2 to 3 times.
- Check carefully to ensure that no solution remains on the sensor.
How do I remove the LaunchSite icon on the taskbar?
If you do not use the LaunchSite function and want to remove it from the taskbar on the desktop, change the personal settings.
NOTE:If you remove the icon from the taskbar, LaunchSite is disabled.
Figure 31: LaunchSite icon on the taskbar
How do I see my password for a registered web site?
- To see your password, click the Edit Webcard icon .
- Click the Edit button. If prompted, swipe an enrolled finger over the sensor to verify your identity.
- The password is shown in plain text. To hide the password, click the Edit button again.
Can I use the fingerprint scanner to protect multiple user accounts?
The HP SimplePass fingerprint reader provides easy security protection if multiple people use the same computer. Each person using the computer should have their own user account, and that account can be accessed using a fingerprint reader.
For example, the parent in a family could have an account with administrator privileges allowing them to install new programs, while each of the children has a personal user account with limited privileges to use, but not install programs. Each child's settings and files are protected and are not accessible by their siblings. The parent, as the administrator, has access to all files.
By using a fingerprint reader with HP SimplePass, when one of the children is ready to log in, they simply scan their finger and the security protection program identifies them and logs on to the proper account.
To set up multiple fingerprint user accounts, follow the steps in Setting up SimplePass while logged in with each Windows user account.