Using the Webcam on Your HP Chromebook (Chrome OS)
This document applies to HP Chromebook computers with Chrome OS.
This document provides information about using the pre-installed Camera app, and finding other apps to use with the webcam on your HP Chromebook computer.
Using the Chromebook Camera app
Camera is a pre-installed app for taking pictures with your Chromebook webcam. Use the steps in this section to take photos, apply filters, save, view, and delete images in the Camera app.
Taking a photo with the Chromebook Camera app
Use the following steps to take a webcam photo with the Camera app:
- Click the apps icon button , and then click Camera .
- Click the camera icon button below the image to take a photo.
The following Camera app settings are adjustable:
- Change the way your image looks : Click Filters to display a list of available image filters. Click any filter name in the list to apply the filter to the webcam's live feed. Click Normal to remove the filter. Once an image is taken, filters cannot be removed or added. Search the Chrome Web Store (in English) for photo editing apps to apply filters to existing images, if desired.
- Change how many pictures the camera takes with one mouse click : Click the multi-frame icon button (Paparazzi) to take three photos in a row with each click of the camera button. Click the single frame icon button (Photo) to take a single photo.
Viewing, saving, and deleting photos in the Camera app
Photos taken in the Camera app are not permanently saved to the Chromebook until you save them. Use the steps in this section to view photos you have taken, and delete or save individual images.
- After taking a photo in the Camera app, click the thumbnail image that appears in the lower right corner of the app window.
- In the gallery, you can save or delete images taken with the webcam. Click a thumbnail to select the image, and do one of the following:
- To view a larger image , click the selected image a second time. Use the left and right arrows to view other images in the gallery, or click Back to Gallery to return to thumbnail view.
- To delete the photo , click the trash can icon button. Click Yes to confirm.
- To save the photo , click Save . Navigate to the desired destination folder, and enter a new File name, if desired. Click Save .
- Click Back to Camera to return to the webcam live feed.
Video chatting with Chat for Google on Chromebook
Chat for Google allows you to talk face to face over the Internet with family, friends, and collegues, using the built-in webcam on your Chromebook. For help using Chat for Google, refer to Chat on a Chromebook or a Chrome browser (in English) from Google Chat Help.
Other apps for video chatting are available in the Chrome Web Store (in English). You may be required to grant individual apps permission to access your webcam.
Recording webcam videos with Chromebook
Chromebooks do not come with a pre-installed app for recording video. Search the Chrome Web Store (in English) for apps that can record video with your Chromebook webcam. You may be required to grant individual apps permission to access your webcam.
Other Chrome Web apps for your webcam
To find other apps that can be used with your Chromebook webcam, visit the Chrome Web Store (in English). You may be required to grant individual apps permission to access your webcam.