A 'Used or Counterfeit Cartridge Detected' or 'Counterfeit Cartridge Advisory' Message Displays on the Computer or Printer Control Panel
This document is for HP printers.
A 'Used or Counterfeit Cartridge Detected,' 'Counterfeit Cartridge Advisory,' or 'Used, Refilled, or Counterfeit Cartridge Detected' error message displays on the computer or printer control panel. The message is meant to indicate refilled or counterfeit cartridges, but it can also occur when a genuine HP cartridge is depleted or almost depleted.
The 'Used, Refilled, or Counterfeit Cartridge Detected' error message refers to Missed Rewards. HP Rewards are offered when you first install a genuine HP cartridge. If you receive this message long after you installed a new cartridge, you can disregard it.
Solution one: Use genuine HP cartridges
HP recommends that you use genuine HP cartridges. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP cartridges or refilled HP cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP cartridges, the following solutions might not resolve the issue.
To purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer, go to HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Go to HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country or region location is correct.
Solution two: Acknowledge the message, and then continue with the print job
Click or press No, OK, or Continue to dismiss the message. The printer continues with the print job.
You might have to dismiss the message every time you print.
Solution three: Reset the printer
If you still cannot print or if you are not able to dismiss the error message, follow these steps to reset the printer.
- If the printer is turned off, press the Power button to turn on the printer. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before continuing.
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
- Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
- Wait at least 60 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.NOTE:HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.NOTE:The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
- Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
Solution four: Replace any empty or problem cartridges
Check the estimated ink levels through the printer software or control panel, and then replace any low or empty cartridges.
NOTE:The ink level estimates and the messages are advisory only. You do not need to replace the cartridge until print quality is unacceptable.
If a cartridge is empty, you might continue to receive this error message every time you print until the empty cartridge is replaced. The error can occur once for every empty cartridge installed in the printer.
If you received this error with a new cartridge, the cartridge might be under warranty.
If you have a defective cartridge or printhead, it might be under warranty. To check the warranty on your ink supplies, go to hp.com/go/learnaboutsupplies , select your country/region, and then review the limited warranty information for your supplies.
NOTE:HP warranty coverage lasts until the ink is depleted.