Download and Install the Parallel Port Driver for Microsoft(R) Windows XP
The following information is to be used to download and install the new driver for the HP parallel port CD-Writers in the Windows XP operating system.
Print this document for reference before starting the download and install because the process will require rebooting the system to install the hardware and to complete the driver installation.
If the HP parallel port driver for Windows XP needs to be downloaded and expanded, start with Step 1 below.
If the driver has already been downloaded and expanded and only needs to be installed, go to Step 2 .
Step 1: Download the driver
- Go to the following URL: Download page for the HP parallel port driver for Windows XP.
- Read the information on the screen and then click Download now.
- Select Save this program to disk and click OK.
- Select a location for saving the file and click Save.
- When the download is complete, open the folder where WinXP_LPT_Driver.exefile was saved.
- Double-click the file to launch the InstallShield Wizard for CD-Writer Plus Parallel Port Drivers for Windows XP.
- Accept the default location of C:\ WinXP_LPT_Driver.exe for saving the expanded files, and click Next.
- The information in the Install.rtf file that will be displayed on the screen is included with this document. Read the contents of the Install.rtf file and close the window.
Step 2: Install the new driver
- Close all programs and shut down the computer.
- With the computer turned off, connect the data and power cables to the HP parallel port drive and to the computer. Verify that there is power to the drive by pressing the EJECT button to open and close the CD tray.
- Restart the computer and let it start normally into Windows XP. The Hardware Wizard should detect the drive.
- When the Found New Hardware Wizard has started, select Install from a list or specific location, and click Next (see Figure 1).NOTE: If the parallel port CD-Writer drive is not automatically detected by the operating system, manually run the “Add Hardware” wizard. The Add Hardware Wizard can be accessed by clicking Start, Control Panel, Add Hardware.
- In the “Search for the best driver in these locations” section, un-check Search removable media. Check Include this location in the search and enter C:\WINXP_LPT_DRIVER in the box and click Next. (see Figure 2).
- The Driver Selection dialog box may appear, with the caution, "This driver is not digitally signed!". This message is anticipated and installing this driver will not cause any system problems. Click Next, if this windows appears, to continue with the installation (see Figure 3).
- When the Wizard has completed the install, click Finish.
- Restart the system, if prompted to do so, and the CD-Writer should be accessible to all applications.