HP Scanner Setup poster
The setup poster that comes with HP Scanjet scanners provides information about the box contents and explains how to set up and use the scanner.
NOTE: Click here to order replacement software if required.
Make sure there is a USB connection or parallel interface connection in the computer. Uninstall any previous HP Scanning Software from your computer.
NOTE: Parallel interface connections are available only on computers using the Microsoft (R) Windows operating system.
What comes in the HP Scanjet scanner box
- HP Precisionscan Pro CD-ROM
- USB cable
- Parallel cable
- Power cable
- Transparency adapter (XPA) with accessories* some models only
- Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000 Pro.
- Pentium (R) 166 MHz or higher
- 64 MB RAM
- 90 MB free space for HP scanning software
- 4x or faster CD-ROM drive
- USB or parallel port
- SVGA Monitor (800 x 600, 24-bit, color).NOTE: USB connections are not supported in Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0.
- OS 8.6 to 9.1 (No Mac OS 10 support)
- 64 MB RAM
- 15 MB free disk space
- CD-ROM drive
- USB port
Setting up the scanner
- Install the software.
- Close all open programs.
- Insert the HP Scanning Software CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and wait for the install screen to appear.
- Windows: If the install screen does not appear automatically, go to Start , click Run and type x:setup.exe (where x is the letter of the CD-ROM drive).
- Macintosh: If the install screen does not appear automatically, double-click the README file and follow the instructions.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Connect the interface cable.CAUTION: Windows: Use USB or Parallel - do not connect the scanner to the computer using both interface cables. During the software installation you or the software may choose which interface connection to use.USB: Connect the USB cable between the USB port on the scanner and the USB post on the computer.Parallel: (Windows only)Shut down the computer, if a printer is connected to the computer disconnect it from the computer and reconnect it to the parallel port on the scanner (printer icon).Connect the computer to the remaining parallel port on the scanner using a parallel cable (HP part number C9874A).
- Connect the power cable.
- Connect the power cable between the scanner and a surge protector or easily accessible grounded wall outlet. This turns the scanner on (there is no power switch).
- Turn on the computer.
- Follow the directions on the screen.NOTE:Windows: When the computer detects new hardware, a message might appear, indicating a file was not found. To resolve this message, click Browse in the dialog box, locate the CD-ROM drive, then click OK to close the dialog box.
Select one of the following:
- Scanner buttons. Scan directly to a destination by pressing one of the buttons on the front panel:
- Scan to - Scan directly to HP Precisionscan Pro and make changes to the image.
- Share-to-Web - Send the image to a Web site using HP Share-to-Web wizard.
- Photo Reprint - Print multiple photos on one page or create photo album pages.
- E-mail - Include the scanned image as a file in an e-mail message.
- Copy - Print copies, or choose additional copy settings.
- Use the HP Precisionscan Pro software to view or change the scanned image before sending it.
Connect the XPA
When ready to scan negatives, slides and other transparent items, connect the XPA.
NOTE: For Macintosh compatible computers, shut down the computer before connecting the XPA.
- Connect the XPA cable to the XPA port on the scanner.
- Restart the scanning software.NOTE: See Using Accessories in the HP Precisionscan Pro online help guide for use instructions.
Help and support
- For product support, specifications, and installation troubleshooting, open the folder for your language on the CD-ROM and double-click SJSETUPGUIDE.PDF .
- For scanning ideas, tips and optional accessories, visit the HP Scanjet Web site at http://www.Scanjet.hp.com.
- For customer support on the Web, visit http://www.hp.com/go/support.NOTE: Windows: The HP Photo Printing software is available in English only for some countries. For help in your language, press the PHOTO REPRINT button, wait for Photo Printing software to open, click Help and then click Quick Reference Guide .