How to Use the HP Printer Control app for Windows 8
The HP Printer Control for Windows 8 app allows you to connect to your printer and check the printer status, whether you are in the same room or connecting to your printer wirelessly. Use the HP Printer Control app for accessing the following useful information.
- Check the current status of the printer, including connection status, supply levels, and error states
- Connect to other HP printers on your network and view instructions for installing and uninstalling printers
- Access HP support and order supplies
How to use the HP Printer Control app
Learn how to use the features of HP Printer Control by reviewing the functions of each tile on the app.
NOTE:The available tiles on your screen might vary from the tiles described, based on your printer model and your Windows 8 operating system version. Some of the features of the app might not be available in older versions. You can update the app online from the Microsoft Store.
Click this tile to search for printers on your network, and then select a different printer. When the Choose a printer screen displays, you have the option of choosing among the following views.
- Installed : Shows the printers on your network that have software installed
- Recent : Shows the printers that you have recently used with this app
- All : Shows all the printers on your network, including the ones that you have used recently in any location
The green and red circles next to each printer description indicate if the printer is available ( ) or unavailable ( ). If you right-click or tap and hold on a printer, you see options at the bottom of the screen to view instructions on how to add a printer and install or uninstall a printer.
This tile changes appearance according to the printer's status.
- If the printer is in 'ready' mode, the tile is light blue with a checkmark. The message varies, based on the printer status.
This tile shows the estimated ink or toner levels for your printer. If the tile indicates that levels are low, you can click the Shop for supplies tile to order replacements.
Conveniently print photos saved to your computer or device directly from this tile. You can select photos from the default Pictures Library or browse to find other photo files.
Click this tile to view printer information, such as the serial and model number and the printer’s firmware version.
Click this tile to print reports, such as the printer’s Wireless Test Report and Print Quality Report.
Use this tile to get direct access to the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows on the HP website. The Printer Install Wizard helps you download and install the latest and most appropriate HP software for your printer. Simply run the tool and follow the on-screen instructions.
NOTE:The Printer Install Wizard might not be available, based on your printer model and operating system. It is available only for Windows 7 and Windows 8. For more information about installing software for your printer, click the Get online product support tile and search for Support & Drivers .
Click this tile to purchase supplies for your printer directly from the HP website.
Use this tile to register your printer on the HP website. Registering your printer can improve your experience with HP in the following ways.
- Personalized communication about products and services
- Service and support that is specific to your printer
- Updates on new services and benefits
- Personalized promotional offers
Click this tile to access online HP support, where you can search for information about your printer, including printer specifications, installation instructions, and troubleshooting information.
Use this tile to access the HP Scan and Capture app. HP Scan and Capture is a simple application that captures images and documents from your network-connected, HP multifunction printer or your Windows 8 computer's built-in camera. These images can be previewed, saved, printed, or shared to other applications.
If you have not installed the app, when you open the tile, you see a prompt to download the app from the Microsoft Store.
NOTE:This app is not available for all printers. To see if your printer supports HP Scan and Capture, go to Supported Printers for the HP Scan and Capture App .
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the HP Printer Control app
Review the following for more information about the app.
- Your computer must be connected to an HP printer that supports the HP Printer Control app.
- You must have access to the Internet.
- You need to have a Microsoft account in order to access the Microsoft Store. You can install the app for free from the Microsoft Store.
There are two methods for installing the app.
- Automatic download and installWhen you set up and connect your printer, the HP Printer Control app is automatically downloaded and installed from the Microsoft Store.
- Manual download and installIf the app does not automatically download, go to the Microsoft Store, search for 'HP Printer Control,' and then follow the on-screen instructions.
Follow these steps to uninstall the app.
- On the Start screen, right-click or tap and hold the HP Printer Control app.
- Click the Uninstall option that displays at the bottom of the screen.
Yes, you can use this app with a USB connection. However, the HP Scan and Capture feature does not work with a USB connection.
You might not be able to print to your HP printer for one of the following reasons.
- The printer software might not be installed. To install the print driver, enable Windows Update or click the Get HP full-featured software tile to download and install the drivers.
- The printer might be offline. Check your printer's documentation for more information.
- Sharing might be turned off. HP recommends that you turn on sharing. Follow these steps to enable sharing on your network.
- Right-click or tap and hold the bottom left corner of the screen, click or tap Search , and then click or tap Settings .
- Click or tap the network icon.
- Right-click or tap and hold your network, and then click or tap Turn sharing on .
- Chinese (Traditional)
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Spanish (International/Mid-Atlantic)