HP Officejet 6210 All-in-One Printer support
Incorrect (Color/Black or Photo) Cartridge Installed
After you install a print cartridge, the following message appears on the color graphics display: Incorrect [color / black or photo] Cartridge Installed . The device will not print.
Step 1: Remove, inspect, and reseat the cartridges
The print cartridge may not have full electrical contact with the printer. Removing and reinstalling the cartridge may help.
NOTE:HP cannot guarantee the quality of remanufactured or refilled cartridges.
- Make sure the printer is on. Press the Power button if it is not lit.
- Open the printer cover, then wait until the print cartridge carriage is idle and silent.
- Press down lightly on the end of the problem cartridge to release it.
- Slide the cartridge out and inspect it:CAUTION:Do not touch the copper electrical contacts or the ink nozzles.Check the electrical contacts for debris.Make sure all the clear nozzle protective tape has been removed.CAUTION:Do not attempt to remove the copper electrical strip!Look at the number on the print cartridge label and make sure it is compatible with your printer. Compatible print cartridges are listed in the Printer Reference Guide supplied with your printer.
- If the cartridge is compatible, reinstall it in the printer:
- Cartridges marked with a triangle go into the left carriage slot.
- Cartridges marked with a square or pentagon go into the right carriage slot.
Step 2: Clean the cartridge contacts
- Gather the following items to clean the cartridge and carriage:
- Clean distilled water. Use bottled or filtered water if distilled water is not available. Tap water can contain contaminants that damage the cartridge.
- Clean cotton swabs or any soft, lint-free material that will not stick to the cartridges (coffee filters work well).
- Sheets of paper or a paper towel to rest the cartridge on during cleaning.
- Open the cartridge access door and wait until the carriage is idle and silent.
- Disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer.
- Remove the cartridge and place it on a piece of paper with the nozzle plate facing up.NOTE:Do not leave the cartridges outside of the printer for more than 30 minutes. If the cartridge is outside of the printer for too long, the ink can dry and clog the nozzles.
- Dip a clean foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth into distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.
- Clean only the copper-colored contacts
- Repeat these steps for the other cartridge.
- Lightly moisten another cotton swab with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from the swab.
- Use the swab to clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the printer on the carriage slots.
- Wait 10 minutes to allow the cartridge and carriage electrical contacts to dry.
- Reinstall the cartridges.
- Close the cartridge access door.
- Reconnect the power cord to the back of the printer.
- Press the Power button to turn on the printer.
- Try to print a page.
- If you are still unable to print, repeat these steps to clean and reseat the cartridges. Multiple cleanings might be necessary to restore printing.
Step 3: Repeat reseating and cleaning steps
If the problem is not solved, repeat the reseating and cleaning procedures above.
Step 4: Contact HP
If a cartridge replacement was not tried previously to solve this problem, replace the problem cartridge now. Click here (c00206040) (in English) to see if the cartridge is covered under warranty.
Step 5: Print in backup mode
If you do not have a replacement cartridge, you can still print in ink backup mode. Simply remove the problem cartridge, and print with the remaining cartridge.
- If you remove the tri-color cartridge, printouts will be in grayscale.
- If you remove the black or photo cartridge, the product prints slowly and the colors in the printouts might differ.