HP Officejet 6210 All-in-One Printer support
Incorrect (Color/Black or Photo) Cartridge Installed
After you install a print cartridge, the following message appears on the color graphics display: Incorrect [color / black or photo] Cartridge Installed . The device will not print.
Step 1: Remove, inspect, and reseat the cartridges
The print cartridge may not have full electrical contact with the printer. Removing and reinstalling the cartridge may help.
NOTE:HP cannot guarantee the quality of remanufactured or refilled cartridges.
- Make sure the printer is on. Press the Power button if it is not lit.
- Open the printer cover, then wait until the print cartridge carriage is idle and silent.
- Press down lightly on the end of the problem cartridge to release it.
- Slide the cartridge out and inspect it:CAUTION:Do not touch the copper electrical contacts or the ink nozzles.Check the electrical contacts for debris.Make sure all the clear nozzle protective tape has been removed.CAUTION:Do not attempt to remove the copper electrical strip!Look at the number on the print cartridge label and make sure it is compatible with your printer. Compatible print cartridges are listed in the Printer Reference Guide supplied with your printer.
- If the cartridge is compatible, reinstall it in the printer:
- Cartridges marked with a triangle go into the left carriage slot.
- Cartridges marked with a square or pentagon go into the right carriage slot.
Step 2: Clean the cartridge contacts
- Gather the following items to clean the cartridge and carriage:
- Clean distilled water. Use bottled or filtered water if distilled water is not available. Tap water can contain contaminants that damage the cartridge.
- Clean cotton swabs or any soft, lint-free material that will not stick to the cartridges (coffee filters work well).
- Sheets of paper or a paper towel to rest the cartridge on during cleaning.
- Open the product cover and wait until the carriage is idle and silent.
- Remove the cartridge and place it on a piece of paper with the nozzle plate facing up.NOTE:Clean the contacts quickly so that the cartridge is not outside of the product for more than 30 minutes. If the cartridge is outside of the product for too long, the ink can dry and clog the nozzles.
- Unplug the product from the electrical outlet.
- Dip the swab or other cleaning material in the water and squeeze it to remove most of the moisture. The swab should be only slightly damp.
- Clean the cartridge contacts.CAUTION:Do not touch the ink nozzles.
- Clean the contacts in the carriage.
- Either let the cartridge sit for 10 minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.
- Reinstall the cartridge.
- Reconnect the product to the electrical outlet.
- Close the product cover.
Step 3: Repeat reseating and cleaning steps
If the problem is not solved, repeat the reseating and cleaning procedures above.
Step 4: Contact HP
If a cartridge replacement was not tried previously to solve this problem, replace the problem cartridge now. Click here (c00206040) (in English) to see if the cartridge is covered under warranty.
Step 5: Print in backup mode
If you do not have a replacement cartridge, you can still print in ink backup mode. Simply remove the problem cartridge, and print with the remaining cartridge.
- If you remove the tri-color cartridge, printouts will be in grayscale.
- If you remove the black or photo cartridge, the product prints slowly and the colors in the printouts might differ.