Compaq Presario CQ5810 Desktop PC support
Changing the Registered Owner (User Name) or Registered Organization Name (Windows 7, Vista and XP)
This document pertains to HP and Compaq desktop computers with Windows 7, Vista or XP.
This document describes how to change the registered owner (user name) or organization name in Windows 7, Vista and XP. Complete the following steps:
- Create a restore point. A restore point represents the computer configuration at a given moment in time. Making a restore point allows the computer to be set back to this same configuration in case the Registry is damaged while making changes. See one of the following documents if you need more information:
- Open the Registry Editor:
The Registry Editor opens.
- Windows 7 and Windows Vista - Click Start , type regedit in the Search box, and then click regedit from the search results.If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, enter it now.
- Windows XP - Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type regedit, and then press Enter.
- In the left pane, expand the tree view by double-clicking each of the following Registry keys:
- Windows NT
- Click CurrentVersion.
- If you want to change the owner name, double-click RegisteredOwner. Type a new owner name, and then click OK.If you want to change the organization name, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Type a new organization name, and then click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor.The owner and organization names are changed.
Confirming the changes
The registered owner and organization are listed on the About Windows information screen. Follow these steps to confirm the new owner and organization names:
- To confirm the changes, open a Windows Explorer window. Right-click Start, and then click Explore (Windows XP) or Open Windows Explorer (Windows 7 and Windows Vista).
- In the Windows Explorer menu bar, click Help, and then click About Windows.NOTE:In Windows 7 and Windows Vista, press Alt to open the menu bar.The About Windows information screen displays. Verify that the owner and organization names show your changes.