HP Pavilion 7955 Desktop PC (US/CAN) support
Windows Does Not Shut Down (Windows XP, ME or 98)
This document applies to Windows XP, Me, 98 and 95.
There are various reasons that Windows might not shut down properly. The following sections contain fixes for the most common causes. The images used in this document are from Windows XP, but can also be used for the other versions of Windows.
Step 1: Preventing the Windows exit sound from playing
Sound files can become corrupt or misplaced. If Windows tries to play one of these files when shutting down, it can lock up the PC. Disabling the exit sound can resolve this issue.
- In Windows XP, click Start, Control Panel, then Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices.In Windows 95, 98, and Me, click Start, Settings, then Control Panel.
- In Windows XP, click Sounds and Audio Devices.In Windows 95, 98, and Me, double-click the Sounds and Multimedia or Sounds icon.
- In Windows XP, click the Sounds tab.
- In the list of Program Events (or Sound events), click Exit Windows.
- Select None for Sounds.
- Click OK to save the changes, and then restart the PC.
- When the Windows desktop appears, restart the PC again. The PC should shut down and restart normally this time. If not, continue to the next Step.
Step 2: Using one anti-virus program
You only need one anti-virus program. If more than one anti-virus program is open at the same time, uninstall the extra software programs. Several virus scanning software on the same PC can create software conflicts. This is also true for multiple versions of the same anti-virus software. For example, if Norton Antivirus version five and Norton Antivirus version 2002 are both installed on the same PC, uninstall the older version (version 5 in this case). Use the following steps to remove programs:
- In Windows XP, click Start, then Control Panel.In Windows 95, 98, and Me, click Start, Settings, then Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select the anti-virus software that you want to remove and click the Add/Remove button, or the Change/Remove button in Windows XP.
- Restart the PC when the program is uninstalled.
- When the Windows desktop appears, restart the PC again. The PC should shut down and restart normally this time. If not, continue to the next step.
Step 3: Disabling Software that opens with Windows
For troubleshooting purposes, reduce the amount of software that opens with Windows to try and find out if a software conflict is occurring. Open the Microsoft System Configuration software (Msconfig), remove the selection next to Load Startup Items, click OK, and restart the PC.
For more information, refer to Preventing Programs from Opening When Windows Starts .
Restart the PC using Windows. If the Windows still fails to close, continue to next step.
Step 4: Turning off all power options
Turn off all Windows power management options and shut down the PC as follows.
- In Windows XP, click Start, Control Panel, and then Performance and Maintenance.In Windows 95, 98, and Me, click Start, Settings, and then Control Panel.
- Double-click the Power Options icon.
- Click the Power Schemes tab and change all selections under Settings for Always On power scheme to Never.
- Click the Hibernate tab and remove the check mark from Enable hibernate support.
- Click the OK button to accept the changes, and then restart the PC.
- When the Windows desktop appears, restart the PC again. The PC should shut down and restart normally this time. Regardless, continue to the next Step to see if a BIOS update is available.
Step 5: Upgrading the BIOS
The BIOS is code that the PC uses at start up and is responsible for many things. One of those things is power management, which can get in the way of the shutdown process. Find and install a BIOS upgrade, if available, from the HP Support Web Site. For more information, refer to the HP support document Updating the BIOS .
Microsoft Article 239887: Windows 98SE Shutdown Supplement (in English). This is a document that explains how to download and install a patch that is designed for Windows 98 second edition. Do not install the patch until all other steps in this document have been tried.