This document pertains to HP and Compaq PCs with Windows XP
By default, the computer name of your HP or Compaq PC is a randomly generated series of characters. If you want to change the computer name, complete the following instructions:
- Open the System Properties using one of the following methods:
- Right-click My Computer , and then click Properties .
- Click Start , right-click My Computer , and then click Properties .
- Click the Computer Name tab.
- Click the Change button.
- Type the new computer name.
- Click OK . Click OK again to close the System Properties.NOTE:If the computer is on a network, after the name change your system administrator must add the computer back to the workgroup or domain.