ISSUE 1: How to scan a multi-page document to a single file.
SOLUTION 1: Use Precisionscan Pro to scan with the ADF and select output type as Text or Text and Image.
SUMMARY: When scanning to a file with the ADF and using a bitmap output type (true color, grayscale, black and white bitmap, or one of the 256 color types), each page will be placed in a separate file. When using Text or Text and Image output type, all output will be put into one file. When using "Scan to" with an ADF for bitmap output types (true color, grayscale, black and white bitmap, or one of the 256 color types) only one page is scanned and placed in the application chosen. This is because some applications do not handle multiple page files or launch a separate instance of the program for each file.
ISSUE 2: How to scan a multipage document to a single file (without using OCR).
SOLUTION 2: Without using OCR, you must use a third party application to scan multipage documents to a bitmap output type. Two possible solutions, use applications that HP Scanjet users are likely to own. These are provided below:
Use Kodak Imaging (included with Microsoft Windows 98) to scan with the ADF and save to a multipage TIFF format file.
- Open Kodak Imaging from the Start menu in Windows.
- Load the ADF with the multipage document to be scanned.
- Click the Scan-New button on the button bar.
- Precisionscan Pro will open and display the ADF dialog box.
- Make the appropriate selections and choose the Scan button.
- All the pages loaded in the ADF will be scanned to a single document in Kodak Imaging without user intervention.
- If additional pages need to be added to the document, load the additional pages into the ADF and select the Append Scanned Page button to append the new pages to the current document.
- Once all the pages are scanned,
- Select File and Save to save the file as a multipage TIFF file.
NOTE:Not all applications that can open a TIFF file, will recognize the additional pages in the document.
Use Pagekeeper Standard 3.0 to scan with the ADF and save to a Multipage TIFF format file.
- Setup Caere Pagekeeper to use Twain to access the scanner:
- Click Start, Settings, and then Control Panel.
- Double-click "Caere Scan Manager 3.1."NOTE:If Caere Scan Manager is not available, reinstall the Caere Pagekeeper software using the HP Scanning Software CD-ROM.
- Choose the Select Scanner tab.
- Highlight the HP scanner and select Set as Current Scanner.
- Choose the Twain Data Sources tab.
- Highlight HP Precisionscan Pro and select Set as Current Data Source.
- Choose the TWAIN Scanner Settings tab.
- Check the Show TWAIN settings before scan box, click Apply, and then click OK.
- Close the Control Panel.
- Open Pagekeeper Standard and scan the document:
- Click Start, Programs, Caere Applications, and then Pagekeeper Standard.
- From the menu, choose Tools and Options.
- Select the Save Image Tab.
- In the Save as Type box, select TIFF Uncompressed *.TIF.
- Under Save Options, select Save all pages as one file.
- Choose OK at the bottom.
- Load up the document feeder on the scanner and engage the lever.
- Choose File, New, and then Document from Scanner. (This should bring up the HP Precisionscan Pro window.)
- Set the options in the scan window and then click Scan. (The scanner will now scan the pages in the document feeder.)
- You will be prompted to enter some information about the scan.
- Use Pagekeeper to view and print the document:
- From the menu of an open Pagekeeper window, choose Tools and Options.
- Select the Preferences tab.
- Under double-click settings, set it to: double-clicking document opens Pagekeeper View.
- Select OK.
- Double-click the new document (it will be at the bottom).
- In the lower, right-hand corner of the screen, it will say how many pages are in the document. There will also be a left/right arrow so that you can switch to next/previous page.
- From here, choosing File, then Print. All the pages will print.
SUMMARY: HP supplies all of their manuals and help files with your HP Scanjet scanner on the CD-ROM. To access the information you must install the scanning software from the CD-ROM. Once that is completed you can follow the path below to the User's Guide.
Click Start, Programs, HP Scanjet Software, HP Online Help, and then click any of the items listed:
- HP Scanjet Help
- HP Scanjet Readme
- HP Scanjet Support Supplement
- Show Me Videos
- User's Guide