The HP Scanjet scanner is connected, by a USB cable, to the computer system and then the scanner stops working unexpectedly, or the scanner may appear to work fine when Microsoft® Windows XP first starts up but later stops working.
Solution: Disable power management on the USB hub
By default, Window XP tries to disable USB port when the HP Scanjet scanner is not in use to save power. The scanner fails to wake up when called. To fix this problem use the steps below:
- Click Start , right-click My Computer , then click Properties . The System Properties window will open.
- Click the Hardware tab, then Device Manager . The Device Managerwindow will open.
- Double-click the Universal Serial Bus controller branch to expand it.
- Right-click USB Root Hub , then click Properties . The USB Root Hub Properties window will open.
- Click the Power Management tab.
- Remove the check from the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
- Click OK , and close USB Root Hub Properties window.
- Close any other open windows.
Other related support information
NOTE: One or more of the links above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.