HP Deskjet 3820 Color Inkjet Printer support
Error Message, 'Incorrect Installation of Print Cartridge'
The following error message appears when printing: Incorrect Installation; try removing the black (or color) print cartridge and reinstalling it. The HP Deskjet 1220C series printer's Toolbox may also display the message: Cartridge seated incorrectly. The HP Deskjet 900C and 1220C series printer will print the document successfully and the error message will disappear. This message may occur even if the driver successfully installs without communication error messages. This document provides directions for resolving the Incorrect Installation error message, also known as pen rejection, on the HP Deskjet 900C and 1220C series printers.
The “Incorrect Installation” messages display when the printer hardware or software has detected a problem with the installation of a print cartridge. This error message could be caused by one of the following issues:
- The copper contacts on the ink cartridge and the contacts in the printer are not properly connected.
- The communication between the printer and the computer is incomplete.
Complete the following steps to resolve the Incorrect Installation error message.
- Turn the printer on and lift the printer's top cover. The print cartridge carriage should move to the center position.
- Remove the print cartridge(s). Examine the copper-colored strip on the back of the cartridge and ensure that the copper-colored strip is undamaged. The copper-colored strip conducts electricity and will not function correctly if it is damaged.
- Locate the cartridge part number on the front of the print cartridge. Verify that the part numbers of the cartridge(s) are the correct cartridges required in the printer (see the table below).
Printer Black cartridge Color cartridge HP Deskjet 920c, 920cxi, 920cvr HP15 (C6615AN) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 930c, 932c, 935c HP 45 (51645A) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 940c, 940cvr HP15 (C6615AN) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 950c, 952c, 955c (Japan), 959c HP 45 (51645A) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 960c HP 45 (51645A) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 970cse, 970cxi HP 45 (51645A) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 980c HP 45 (51645A) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 990cse, 990cxi, 995c HP 45 (51645A) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 1220c series printers HP 45 (51645A) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 3820c series printers HP 15 (C6615AN) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 6122 series printers HP 45 (51645A) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy) HP Deskjet 6127 series printers HP 45 (51645A) HP 78 (C6578AN large or C6578DN economy)
- Unplug the printer from its power source. This is important to reset the printer.
- From the instructions listed below, follow the steps to clean the print cartridge.
- Get a lint-free cloth that is clean, dry, and soft.
- Use an upward motion, from the nozzle end to the top of the cartridge and wipe the copper-colored strip on the back of the cartridge with the dry cloth. Do not wipe the nozzle end of the cartridge or touch the nozzle plate. Wipe the contacts only once.
- To clean the printer contacts, carefully look for fibers or contamination on the electrical contacts inside the carriage assembly, but do not wipe the printer contacts with any object. The contacts in the printer can be damaged if too much pressure is applied during a wiping process. Try to remove any visible attached debris within the carriage assembly by gently pulling the debris off with your fingers. If the carriage contacts show noticeable damage, contact the HP Customer Care Center listed in the printer's User's Guide.
- Plug the printer into a power source and turn on the printer. Place the ink cartridge(s) into the carriage and snap or lock into position. Lower the printer's top cover.
- Try printing again.
- If the “Incorrect Installation” error still appears or the print cartridge carriage does not return to the home position, try a new print cartridge(s). If the “Incorrect Installation” error message appears after a new cartridge(s) has been installed, the printer may require service. Contact the HP Customer Care Center listed in the printer's User's Guide.
An alternative solution is to turn off bidirectional communication with the printer. This does not resolve the issue, but stops the error message from displaying. This option could be used if the hardware is out of warranty and service is not an option or if the message is being disabled temporarily while a new component is being shipped. Completing the following steps disables bidirectional communication:
NOTE:Please be aware that the following information is only for use of the devices on a Windows computer. There is no alternate solution for turning off the bidirectional communication on a Macintosh operating system.
HP Deskjet 900c series printers
- Click Start, Programs, click HP Deskjet 990C printer and then click HP Deskjet 990c series toolbox.
- Click the printer icon, located on the top right title bar.
- Click About.
- When the toolbox screen displays, hold CTRL on the keyboard and double-click the picture of the printer.
- Click Continue on the pop up box.
- Select Ultra Safe Mode for HP IO.
- Reboot the PC.
HP Deskjet 1220C series printers
- Click Start, click Programs, click HP Deskjet 1220Cprinter and then click Toolbox.
- Select the Printer Status tab and click Preferences.
- Remove the check marks from the following selections:
- Display Error Messages (When An Error Occurs section)
- Ink (Show These Errors section)
- Show myPrintMileage Confirmation Dialog
- Enable Bidirectional Communication
HP Deskjet 3820, 6122, and 6127 printers
The HP Deskjet 6122 printer is referenced in the following steps. These steps will work with the HP Deskjet 3820 and 6127 models also.
- Right-click the printer icon on the toolbar.
- Click Open HP Deskjet 6122 series Toolbox.
- Click the printer icon, located in the top title bar.
- Click About.
- When the toolbox screen appears, hold Ctrl on the keyboard and double-click the picture of the screwdriver and wrench.
- Click OK.
- Double-click the printer icon in the top title bar.
- Click Continue.
- Under HP IO, select Safe Mode.
- Select Ultra Safe Mode from the list displayed.
- Click OK.
- Reboot the computer.
Other solutions customers found helpful
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum