HP Officejet g55 All-in-One Printer support
Installing Printer Software for a USB Connection in Windows XP for the HP Officejet G and K All-in-One Printer Series
This document provides instructions for installing an HP Officejet G or K series All-in-One in Microsoft Windows XP.
Before installing the drivers for Windows XP
NOTE: Install the drivers before connecting the product to the computer.
- If the HP product is going to be connected using a parallel port cable, the printer port must be configured correctly or communication problems will occur. Refer to the computer manufacturer to learn how to configure the parallel port.
- Log onto the computer with administrative rights to install the driver.
- Right-click Start. If the Open All Users and Explore All Users options are available, you have administrative rights.
- If the Open All Users and Explore All Users options are not available, contact someone with administrative rights to install the driver.
- Create a system restore point before and after installing the driver. Use the following steps to create a restore point:
- Click Start.
- Click All Programs.
- Click Accessories.
- Click System Tools.
- Click System Restore.
- Close any programs that open at startup, such as faxing and antivirus software. If virus scanning is enabled, the driver installation might fail or be incomplete.Antivirus software usually places an icon next to the time in the lower-right corner of the screen. Right-click this icon to display a menu that might have the option to shut down or disable the antivirus software temporarily. If this option is not available, contact the manufacturer of the antivirus software to ask how to disable and enable the software.
Installing the drivers for Windows XP
NOTE: For network installations, the product must be connected to the HP Jetdirect print server before installing the software. If the product is already connected to the computer, disconnect it from the computer, unplug the power cord from the product, and then restart the computer.
Complete the following steps to install the driver onto the computer hard drive:
- To download the software and drivers, click here .
- Save the file to the computer.
- Double-click the file once it has completely downloaded.
- If the Hewlett-Packard: Remove previous software dialog box appears, click Next to perform a system cleanup.
- When the installation Welcome window appears, click Next to continue installing the driver.
- The Connection Type dialog box will appear. Select the installation connection method, and then click Next. If you are installing the driver on a portable or laptop computer, select that option. The networked installation type should be used only when the product is connected using an HP Jetdirect print server to a peer-to-peer (or direct) network. Client-server network configurations are not supported. If the product is to be installed on a network, read the Network installation with an HP Jetdirect print server section at the end of this document before continuing to Step 5.
- The Destination folder screen will appear. HP recommends clicking Next to accept the default location. Click Change to select a different destination folder. The software installer will begin copying the driver files to the hard drive. This process will take several minutes.
- At the end of the installation process, the Software Copied Successfully window will appear. Leave the CD in the CD drive. Read the information on the screen, and then click Finish. Leave the CD in the drive until after the Congratulations message appears. If another message indicates that the computer must be restarted, click Yes to restart the computer. If the computer has multiple users, log onto the computer after it has restarted.
- For USB installations only (not network), continue with Steps 9 - 11.
- If Through the Network was selected on the Connection Type dialog box, continue with Step 11 to begin setting up the fax software if the product is capable of faxing.
- If the product is not capable of faxing, continue with Step 19 .
- For local installations (not network): Turn on the product and then connect the USB or parallel cable. Windows Plug and Play should detect the product and installation drivers. If Windows Plug and Play does not detect the product, there is a communication problem.NOTE: Windows Plug and Play might take several minutes. Do not start using the computer until after the installation software displays a Congratulations screen.
- During the Windows Plug and Play process, the Add New Hardware Wizard will appear. Click Next to continue.
- Another Add New Hardware Wizard will appear. Click Next to continue.
- Another Found New Hardware Wizard dialog box will appear. Click Finish. If the product is not capable of faxing, continue with Step 19 .
- Within one to two minutes, the HP Fax Setup Wizard will appear. The Fax setup wizard must be completed to finish the installation even if you are not going to use the faxing features. Click Next and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Type the appropriate names in the spaces provided, and then click Next.
- The Outside Line dialog box will appear. Read the information and determine if it applies to the setup. Select one of the two options, and then click Next.
- The Phone Line dialog box will appear. If the same telephone line will be used for both faxes and voice calls, select the No I will use one line for both option. Click Next to continue.
- The Fax Setup Wizard will request the phone number of the fax line (followed by a voice phone line number if a separate line was selected in the previous screen). Type in the appropriate phone line numbers, and then click Next.
- The PC Modem dialog box will ask if a dial-up modem will be used on the same phone line. Select the correct response, and then click Next.
- The Print Test Page dialog box will appear. Click Print Test Page to verify that the unit is installed correctly and can communicate with the computer. Click Next after the page prints.
- The Finish Setup dialog box should appear to indicate that the Fax Setup Wizard is complete. View the setup information by clicking View Your Setup Information. Click Finish to exit the wizard.
- When you see the Electronic Registration dialog box, click Register to register the product or click Cancel if the product is already registered or to register the product at a later time.
- When the Congratulations window appears, click View Tour or Skip Tour.
The product drivers for Windows XP are now fully installed.
Fast User switching (multiple users)
Unexpected operation might occur when using the product on a Windows XP computer that has fast user switching enabled. HP recommends that each user log off before another user begins using the computer.
It is necessary to log into the computer and start a user session in order to start the communication between the product and the computer. Once a user session is active, the front panel buttons on the product can be used to initiate a photo card file transfer or a scan. If a user session is not active when you press a front panel button that communicates with the computer, the front panel will display an error stating that the software must be installed. Log into the computer to start communication between the product and the computer.
Network installation with an HP Jetdirect print server
If Through the Network is selected on the Connection type dialog box, the network connection software will open in a separate window to configure the network connection. Through the network will not be an available option for the driver download of the HP Officejet G55, G55xi, G85, and G85xi software. The software downloads do not include the networking software to connect the product using an HP Jetdirect print server. Download the HP Officejet G95 software or obtain the software CD for network installations using an HP Jetdirect print server. For network connection troubleshooting assistance, refer to HP document Network Connection with a Print Server Troubleshooting.
NOTE: Only the HP Jetdirect models 170X, 175X, 300X, 500X (when connected to the HP Jetdirect parallel port one), or 70X are compatible with the HP Officejet software.
Follow these steps to complete the network connection setup before returning to the software installation:
- Before continuing with the network setup, print a self-test report from the HP Jetdirect print server by pressing the TEST button on the back of the print server. The self-test report will contain information that might be required to correctly finish the network connection setup and will verify that the HP product and the HP Jetdirect print server are connected correctly.
- A Network Connection Installation Welcome window will have appeared. Click Next to continue the network setup.
- The Network Search Type dialog box will appear.
- The preferred method is to search the network. Select the first available option to search for the product on the network and then click Next.
- If the network connections are to be specified, select the Specify your device by address option, and then click Next. Use this option only if you have a thorough understanding of networks and the network configuration or the connection might fail.
- Do one of the following based on the method selected in Step 3:
- If the network was searched for available HP Officejet products, a list of all compatible HP Officejet products found on the network will be displayed. Click the product in the list and then click Next to continue. If more than one HP product is found, use the IP address information from the HP Jetdirect print server test-page to select the correct product from the list.
- If the network search fails to find the product on the network, click the Back button to return to the Network Search Type dialog box, and then select Specify your device by address. Click Next to continue. The Specify Network Device dialog box will appear. Using the information on the HP Jetdirect self-test page, enter either the IP address or Host name of the HP Jetdirect print server, and then click Next.
- If the Specify Your Device By Address option was selected in Step 3, the Specify Network Device screen will appear. Use the information on the HP Jetdirect self-test page, or enter the desired IP address or Host name for the HP Jetdirect print server, and then click Next.
- If neither of the above methods is able to locate the HP product, refer to HP document Network Connection with a Print Server Troubleshooting to learn how to correct the problem.
- The Network Configuration Option dialog box will appear. Select one of the following options, and then click Next:
- HP recommends selecting Do the network settings for me. This option will use the current network settings of the HP Jetdirect print server.
- Select Let me do my own settings to change the network settings. Only advanced computer users that have a thorough understanding of the network configuration should use this option. Use this option to set a static IP address for the print server on a network configured by Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP). If this option is selected, the next dialog box allows you to set the IP address, Subnet mask, and Gateway network settings.
- Return to the Installing the product drivers for Windows XP section above and complete steps Step 5 through 21 .
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum