Compaq Presario M2000 Notebook PC support
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
This document pertains to finding the model and product number on HP notebook PCs.
HP provides a type of model name near the notebook keyboard or screen, but this name or number might not be sufficient to obtain support for your computer. These names or numbers often represent a series of many notebook computers that look similar, but have different options and parts. For example, HP has produced over a hundred types of G62 notebook models in different configurations, such as the G62-340-US and the G62-465DX models.
This document describes how you can find a product number that better represents your exact type of HP notebook computer. You can use the product number (also called a model number) to download drivers, find helpful documents, or obtain online support.
NOTE:If needed, you may also use this document to find the serial number, which is always listed near the product number.
View a video on how to find your model number
Option 1: Use System Information or HP Support Assistant
Use the following steps to find your model number using HP System Information or HP Support Assistant.
NOTE:If your computer does not boot into Windows, has been upgraded to an operating system did not come with your PC, or if you have a PC where this feature is not available (such as HP commercial PCs), use Option 3: Use the product label .
- In Windows, press the fn + esc keys on the built-in notebook keyboard to open the HP System Information window.
- A System Information window displays showing a product name and a product number. The product name shown might represent many types of models and might not be suitable for getting proper support for your computer. Instead, use the product number when working with HP Customer Support. The product number contains a pound (#) character, and is a more specific form of identification that best represents your computer’s configuration.NOTE:Use the product number when searching for your notebook on the HP Customer Support website, or when working with an HP representative.NOTE:You can copy the system information, paste it to another location and save for future reference.If a System Information window does not open, continue using these steps to find the product number using HP Support Assistant.
- In Windows, search for and open HP Support Assistant.NOTE:Before using the HP Support Assistant, be sure you are using the latest version. If you do not have the latest version, or you are experiencing problems with HP Support Assistant, Download and install the latest version of HP Support Assistant .
- On the HP Support Assistant Home page, click My computer.
- Find the product number listed in the System information tab.NOTE:You can copy the system information, paste it to another location and save for future reference.
Option 2: Find the number in the BIOS using System Information
Use the following steps to find a product identification number from the BIOS. If the computer does not power on, refer to Option 3: Use the product label .
Option 3: Use the product label
You can find the product number on a label located on the outside of the notebook. On some computers, the label is inside the main battery compartment, and you must remove the battery to read the label.
When you have found the product identification label, find the product number shown next to Product or Product #.
The following table shows the location of typical product information labels on the notebook or in the battery compartment. Your product label may be in a slightly different location.