This document resolves the following error messages:
- "RUNDLL - This program has caused an illegal operation and will be shut down. "
- "RUNDLL32 - This program has caused an illegal operation and will be shut down. "
- "RUNDLL caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL at .... "
- "RUNDLL32 caused a general protection fault in module MMSYSTEM.DLL "
Windows System Restore
These error messages can be caused by corrupted system files in Windows. Windows will automatically replace the damaged files when System Restore is used.
To run Windows System Restore follow the instructions on HP Notebook PCs - Using the Microsoft System Restore Feature .
Correct the system.ini file
If Microsoft Windows System Restore does not resolve the error message, manually edit your System.ini file.
- Click Start , Run . In the Open field type: System.ini
- Click OK . The file should open in Notepad. If it does not, a window will appear titled Open With. Select Windows Notepad and click OK to continue.
- If a line similar to drivers=mmsystem.dll can be found under [boot], type a semicolon(;) at the beginning of that line. For example, line drivers=mmsystem.dll wndrv.dll is found under the [boot] section. A semicolon is placed at the beginning of the line so that it looks like this: ;drivers=mmsystem.dll wndrv.dll .
- Type the following new line under the [boot] section (see Figure 1): drivers=mmsystem.dll .
- Click File , then Save from the text editor.
- Close all open windows and restart the computer.
Microsoft Support Article Q138835, Error Messages in Rundll32 or Mmsystem.dll (in English)
NOTE:One or more of the links above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.