Resolving "Error 1606. Could not Access Network Location
This document is for HP printer software installations in Windows XP for HP Photosmart 7150, 7350, 7550, 7260, 7660, 7755, 7760, and 7960 series printers.
When installing the printer drivers on a Microsoft Windows XP computer, the following error message appear on the screen: "Error 1606. Could not access network location <Common Administrative Tools>.All users\." This error can occur if there is an incorrect setting in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Common Administrative Tools registry entry.
Resolving the error in Windows XP
Correct the setting by following the steps below.
CAUTION:Carefully follow the steps outlined below, as inaccurate registry modifications can seriously affect the functionality of the computer. Back up your registry before continuing.
- Click Start, then Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit, then click OK.
- Click the + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Click the + sign next to Software.
- Click the + sign next to Miscrosft.
- Click the + sign next to Windows.
- Click the + sign next to CurrentVersion.
- Click the + sign next to Explorer.
- Click the + sign next to Shell Folders.
- In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, double-click Common Administrative Tools.
- In the Value data box of the Edit String dialog box that appears, type the following line: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools then click OK.
- In the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
- Restart the computer.
- Reinstall printer drivers.