HP Officejet 5510 All-in-One Printer support
Resolving Paper Jams
While printing, copying, or receiving a fax, a paper jam occurs. If the jammed paper is removed incorrectly, other problems may occur.
Clearing paper jams
Remove the jammed paper by following the steps below:
WARNING:Jammed paper must be removed using the rear access door to avoid mechanical damage. Do not remove jammed paper from the front of the all-in-one.
- Turn off the HP product and turn it so the back of the all-in-one faces you.
- Disconnect the power cord from the back of the all-in-one.CAUTION:The power cord must be disconnected to allow the paper feed rollers to turn freely and avoid mechanical damage.
- Locate and open the rear access door by pressing in on the left side tab to release the catches and then pulling the door toward you.
- Inspect the pressure rollers on the rear access door and verify that they are clean and turn freely. Clean the rollers if needed with a soft towel lightly moistened with water. If the rollers do not turn freely, replace the rear access door. Click How to Buy on this page to order replacement parts.
- From the rear access door opening, remove the jammed paper.
- Remove the remaining paper from the paper supply tray. Discard any paper that is damaged or crumpled and then re-stack and reload the paper into the paper supply tray.
- Reinstall the rear access door.
- Reconnect the power cord and turn on the all-in-one.
Preventing paper jams
The following information will help prevent paper jams from occurring:
- Never use paper that is wrinkled or damaged in any way.
- If you are having problems using paper that has already been printed on once (recycling), replace it with fresh paper.
- Remove and then reinstall the rear access door. Verify that the access door is fully locked in place. The paper can skew if the rear access door isn't locked.
- Every six months to one year, clean the paper feed rollers with a rag lightly moistened with clean water. Over time the paper feed rollers accumulate dust and do not function as well as they once did.
- When printing envelopes, tuck the flap into the envelope and crease the folds before printing.
Other solutions customers found helpful
-- A 'Carriage Jam' or 'Carriage Blocked' Error Message Displays for HP Officejet 5500 All-in-One Printer Series
HP All-in-One Products -- 'Out of Paper' Error Message Displays and the Product Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper
HP Officejet 5500, 5600, 6200, 6300, and J5700 All-in-One Printer Series -- Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) Does Not Pick up Paper or Loads Multiple Pages