Why use a HP Certified Repair Center?
HP has certified service centers World Wide. These service centers have trained personnel who know how to correctly diagnose and repair your HP notebook PC. They only use HP certified parts for the repair. By using an HP certified repair center, you can be assured your notebook PC will be repaired correctly.
See HP Total Care for service and support options for your in-and out-of-warranty products.
How to schedule a service repair
For service in Canada and the United States, Contact HP to schedule a repair with a certified HP service center. The HP agent will determine if the HP notebook PC needs to the repaired at a service center. If a repair is needed, they will schedule a pick-up of the notebook PC. The repair generally takes 5-10 business days including shipping.
For service in countries or regions other than Canada and the United States, see your local HP retailer or contact HP directly
How to prepare the notebook PC for service repair
By sending your HP Presario or Compaq Pavilion notebook PC to HP to be repaired, you agree to the following conditions:
- It is your responsibility to backup your data. This includes hard drives, ROM chips, flash cards, etc. HP is not responsible for the restoration or reinstallation of any programs or data other than software installed by HP when the product was manufactured.
- HP Engineers have requested that if possible both diagnostics and the recovery be run before sending the notebook PC in to service for any reason.
- During the repair process, if a hard drive fails the Quality Assurance testing, it will be re-imaged and the data cannot be retrieved once the repair is complete.
- Computers sent in for service may have the data erased from the hard drive and the operating system and programs will be restored to their original state.
- If the operating system was changed or upgraded and it is necessary to restore the operating system, the computer will be returned with the original operating system installed.
- The repair center will not upgrade the operating system, and it will not provide a 64-bit operating system for a notebook originally configured with a 32-bit operating system.
- All BIOS passwords should be removed before shipment. In cases where HP receives units with passwords, they will be cleared, but this will delay the repair of the unit.
NOTE:The terms of warranty for your specific notebook may vary. Please consult the documentation that came with your HP product for complete and specific information.
HP Data Transfer Service
The HP Data Transfer Service may be available to customers that do not currently have a data backup solution. Customers are charged for the service before the computer is shipped to HP for repair. If the service technician is able to access the data (the hard drive must be working properly) then the customers data files (not programs) will be saved and reloaded back onto the customers hard drive after the computer is repaired.
- The HP Data Transfer Service is not free and there is no guarantee that the data files on the computer will be saved.
- The HP Data Transfer Service is not available in all countries or regions.
- Service technicians are only authorized to copy certain approved file types from specific directories, depending on the operating system installed. Installed programs will not be saved or transferred.
- If the service technician is not able to successfully transfer the data, the customer is automatically refunded.
What to send with the notebook PC
Include accessories ONLY if it would help the technician determine the issue with your unit. This includes PCMCIA cards, floppy, DVD, and CD-ROM drives, AC adapters, additional third-party RAM, secondary or optional batteries, sync cables, etc. Always return the battery with your unit.
Do not include DVD movies, Software CDs, Music CDs, port replicators, docking stations, external monitors, product manuals, or carrying cases.
Include a list of any accessories being sent with the computer. Also include your name, phone number, and address, as well as the Case Number and Customer Service Order (CSO) number. If any discrepancies are noted at the repair center, you will be contacted immediately.
How to pack the notebook PC for shipment
To prevent damage during shipping, please pack your unit with at least 3 inches of industry standard packing material all the way around your unit. If this is not done, you will be responsible for any damages incurred during shipment. If you are returning the unit in its original packaging, please note that the packaging will not be returned to you. If the damage or problem with your unit is deemed customer damage by the repair center, the repair warranty will be void and the repair will be completed once you have been notified of the damage and payment information has been collected.
How to ship the notebook PC
HP uses a HP Certified Courier (e.g., Federal Express) to pick up the notebook PC at a location that you designate. When the HP Certified Courier arrives to pick up your HP Notebook, do not release the notebook to the courier until you are provided a tracking number. If the HP Certified Courier does not provide a receipt with a tracking number, do not allow the notebook PC to be taken. The CSO number should be plainly viewable on the outside of the box.
To check on the status of your order, use the Customer Service Order (CSO) number that was given to you at the time you submitted your service order, and refer to the Customer service order status web page.
Estimated repair time
Repairs generally take 5-10 business days. Use the Customer service order status web page to track the progress of your repair. Due to parts back orders, shipping issues, or circumstances beyond HP's control, your repair may require additional time. In these situations, you will be notified by HP.