Setting up the Fax Hardware
This document describes how to setup the hardware for the HP Fax 1040 and 1050 series. Follow the steps below to setup the fax machine.
Setting up the fax machine
- Remove all the shipping tape from the outside of the unit, and then open the control panel and remove the piece of paper and tape on the inside of the unit.
- Peel off the protective film from the display area.
- Turn the unit upside down and locate the ports under the side with the handset.NOTE:The EXT. port is only on the HP 1040. Do not insert anything into the EXT. port at this time.
- Connect the handset cord and the phone line in the following way:Insert the handset cord into the HANDSET port.Insert the phone line cord from the wall into the LINE port.Slip both lines behind the retaining clips.
- Plug the power cord into the fax and then into the wall.
- Open the paper support and slide open the paper support extension.
- Set the paper width to LTR or A4 and then open the paper support cover.
- Insert a stack of paper (up to 50 sheets) and then close the paper support cover.
- Remove the new print cartridge from its packaging and, being careful to touch only the black plastic, gently remove the plastic tape by using the pink pull tab.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or ink nozzles. Touching these parts can result in clogs, ink failure, and bad electrical connections.
- With the Cartridge compartment cover open, insert the print cartridge into the print cartridge cradle with the contacts facing into the unit. When the cartridge is seated in the print cartridge cradle, push the top of the cartridge towards the back of the unit until the print cartridge clicks into place.1 - Insert the print cartridge into the print cartridge cradle2 - Push the top of the cartridge until it clicks into placeNOTE:If the cartridge moves loosely in the carrier, it has not clicked into place. Repeat this step.
- Close the cartridge compartment cover and control panel.
- Press the Start/Enter button.
- On the keypad, press 1 if the replacement print cartridge is new or 2 if the replacement print cartridge is old.NOTE:When you put in a new cartridge, you must choose 1: New.When you put in a used cartridge, choose 2: Used. This helps you to check the correct amount of ink you have left.
- An alignment page will print and 06 [01-11] will show on the display.
- Look at the alignment page and select the number under the straightest line, and then press that number on the keypad and then press Start/Enter.