HP Officejet 7310 All-in-One Printer support
Replacing Cartridges for HP Officejet 7200, 7300, and 7400 All-in-One Printer Series
This document provides instructions for replacing and aligning print cartridges.
Replacing print cartridges
Follow these steps to replace cartridges.
Step one: Make sure the cartridge is compatible with the product
To purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer, go to HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Go to HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country/region location is correct.
Genuine HP cartridges can also be purchased from other retailers.
Step two: Prepare the cartridge
If you are installing a new print cartridge, remove the protective tape.
CAUTION:Do not attempt to remove the copper strip.
CAUTION:After the tape is removed, do not touch the copper contacts or the ink nozzles.
Step three: Open the product
NOTE:To remove the print cartridges or to install them for the first time, the control panel overlay must be installed and the HP All-in-One must be on. If you cannot remove or install the cartridges even though the power is on, check the product control-panel display for error messages. If there are no messages, try turning the power off and back on.
- Make sure the product is turned on. Press the Power button if it is not lit.
- Open the product cover, then wait until the carriage is idle and silent.
NOTE:When you turn off the product, a black plastic guard moves into place, blocking access to the cartridges. The product must be turned on for the guard to move out of the way. If the guard is blocking access to the cartridge, turn the product on. It may be necessary to turn the product off and then on again to move the black guard out of the way. You may need to nudge the plastic guard softly with your finger to assist the movement.
Step four: Replace the old print cartridge
Use these instructions to remove the old print cartridge and install a new one. The following video is provided as a supplement to the instructions in this document. For best quality on dial-up connections, wait until the video has fully loaded before viewing.
NOTE:The Adobe Flash Player is required to view this video. If needed, visit the Adobe Flash Player Web site (in English) to download and install the player.
Click the play button () to see the video on how to replace ink cartridges, or continue to the sections below for detailed instructions.
Remove the old cartridge
Install the new cartridge
- Hold the cartridge so the nozzles are down and the contacts face toward the product, and then slide the cartridge into its slot.
- Cartridges marked with a triangle go into the left slot.
- Cartridges marked with a square or pentagon go into the right slot.
- Push down on the ink cartridge latch until it snaps closed.
- Close the product cover.
NOTE:To remove the ink cartridges or to install them for the first time, the control panel overlay must be installed and the product must be turned on. If you cannot remove or install the cartridges even though the power is on, check the control panel display for error messages. If there are no messages, turn the power off and on again.
Step five: Place the unused cartridge in a cartridge protector
If you are temporarily removing a working cartridge (that is, not replacing an empty cartridge) in order to install a photo cartridge, put the cartridge that you are not using in a cartridge protector.
NOTE:Cartridge protectors come only with photo cartridges. If a cartridge protector is unavailable, store the unused cartridge in a rigid, airtight container (not a plastic bag). If unprotected, the cartridge can dry out and become unsuitable for use.When you remove a photo cartridge from the product, make sure to return it to the cartridge protector for storage.
Step six: Align the new cartridge
The product prompts you to align cartridges every time you install or replace an ink cartridge. Use the following steps to align the ink cartridges from the control panel.
NOTE:If you remove and install the same cartridge, the product does not prompt you to align the cartridges. The product remembers the alignment values for that cartridge, so you do not need to realign the cartridges.
Method one: Align the cartridges from the product control panel when prompted
- Make sure you have Letter or A4, unused, plain white paper loaded in the input tray.NOTE:If you have colored paper loaded in the input tray when you align the ink cartridges, the alignment will fail.
- On the product control panel, press OK.
- The product prints an ink cartridge alignment sheet.
Method two: Align the cartridges from the control panel at any other time
- Make sure you have letter or A4 unused plain white paper loaded in the input tray.NOTE:If you have colored paper loaded in the input tray when you align the ink cartridges, the alignment will fail.
- On the product control panel, press Setup.
- Press 6, and then press 2. This displays the Tools menu and automatically selects Align Ink Cartridge. The product prints a cartridge alignment sheet and aligns the ink cartridges. Recycle or discard the alignment page.
Method three: Align the cartridges using HP Image Zone software
For information about aligning the ink cartridges by using the HP Image Zone software, open HP Image Zone and see the on-screen HP Image Zone Help. Access to HP Image Zone varies, depending on the operating system.
- Windows: To open HP Image Zone in a Windows 2000 or Windows XP, follow these steps:
- Open HP Director:
- Windows XP: Click start, click All Programs, point to HP, and then click HP Director.
- Windows 2000: Click Start, click Programs, point to HP, and then click HP Director.
- Click the HP Image Zone icon ().
- Macintosh: To open HP Image Zone in a Mac OS X operating system, click the Image Zone icon ().NOTE:Mac OS X V10.2.1 and V10.2.2 do not support HP Image Zone.
Step seven: Service the product
These steps apply to all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
If you have completed all the preceding steps and are still experiencing a problem, service the product.
Determine if your product is in warranty or out of warranty. If you need help determining your product’s warranty status, go to HP’s Warranty Check Tool .
- If your product is in warranty, contact HP.
- If your product is out of warranty, fees might apply for contacting HP.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Officejet 7200, 7300, and 7400 All-in-One Series -- 'Incorrect Print Cartridge' or 'Insert Print Cartridge in...Stall' Message Displays on the All-in-One After Installing a Cartridge
-- An 'Incorrect Print Cartridge' or 'Insert Print Cartridge in...Stall' Message Displays on the Computer in Windows After Installing a Print Cartridge in an HP Officejet 7200, 7300, or 7400 All-in-One Series Printer
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum