This document describes how to check the estimated ink level in the cartridge.
NOTE:Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When an indicator shows low-ink levels, consider having a replacement cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. You do not need to replace cartridges until print quality becomes unacceptable.
Check ink levels
Use one of the following methods to check the ink levels.
NOTE:If you have installed a refilled or remanufactured print cartridge or a cartridge that has been used in another printer, the ink level indicator will be inaccurate or unavailable.
Method one: Use HP Solution Center to check ink levels
HP Solution Center is software that acts as a centralized point of access for tasks such as scanning, printing, and copying. The software is part of the software package that comes with your product. When you perform a standard installation of the HP software, HP Solution Center is automatically installed.
You must have the full-feature print driver, which includes HP Solution Center, installed to use this method. If you do not have the full-feature print driver installed on your computer, you can install it now. Alternatively, you can use 'Method two: Check ink levels from the software program' to check the ink levels. Click this link (c02463264) (in English) to see instructions for installing the full-feature print driver and HP Solution Center.
- Open HP Solution Center.
- Windows XP : On the Windows taskbar, click Start , click All Programs , point to HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Windows Vista : On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Windows 7 : Click the Windows icon ( ), click Programs , click HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Click Settings , and then click Printer Toolbox .
- Click the Device Services tab, and then click the Estimated Ink Levels tab.Figure 1: Estimated ink levelsNOTE:A cartridge might be running out of ink even if the graphic shows that ink remains in the cartridge. Lines or streaks appear in printouts when the cartridges begin to run out of ink. Replace ink cartridges that are out of or low on ink.
Method two: Check ink levels from the software program
Follow these steps to check the ink levels from the software program with which you want to print.
- In the software program, click File , click Print , and then click Properties .
- Click the Services tab, and then click the Service This Device icon ( ).The printer Toolbox opens.
- Click the Estimated Ink Levels tab to see the estimated ink levels in each cartridge.