HP Pavilion dv6000z CTO Notebook PC support
Installing and Using Norton Antivirus in Windows XP
There have been several versions of the antivirus programs and each operates in a slightly different way. This document provides general information. For version specific questions, go to the Symantec Web site (in English) and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
To find additional product information or to purchase the current Symantec antivirus products, perform one or more of the following methods.
Method 1: Locate product link on All Program list
If you have never ordered or installed the Norton product, and have not reconfigured the PC, do the following to locate the antivirus product.
- Click Start, click All Program.
- If there is an entry in the list for Norton AntiVirus or Symantec Client Security, click on the link and follow the instructions to install the product and purchase a subscription.
- If there is no product entry, continue to the another method to access the Symantec/Norton Web site.
Method 2: Locate product icon in quick launch tray
If you have installed the Norton antivirus product and used the 90 day free subscription, do the following to purchase a personal subscription.
- Right-click on the Norton Internet Security antivirus icon in the quick launch bar and select the option to open the product control panel.
- Follow the directions to purchase a personal subscription, or update the product.
- If there is no product icon, continue to the another method to access the Symantec/Norton Web site.
Method 3: Go to Symantec site to order or update product
Click on this link to go to the Symantec Web site (in English) and search for the desired antivirus and network security tools.
Method 4: Perform a free security scan
If no antivirus product is installed on the PC and you want to check for problems with malicious software before you invest in an Internet security and antivirus tool, click on this link for a Free Security Scan (in English) from Symantec.
Method 5: Update antivirus using LiveUpdate
The Symantec/Norton Antivirus products offer a LiveUpdate feature to automatically get updates to your Norton Antivirus while connected to the Internet.
Double-click the product icon in the quick launch bar to open the dialog box. Follow the instructions to activate the LiveUpdate feature and begin receiving the latest updates automatically.
Method 6: Schedule a custom scan
If you have installed the Norton AntiVirus product by Symantec, follow these steps to define and schedule a custom virus scan.
- Double-click the product icon in the quick launch bar to open the dialog box. Click Help on the dialog box for detailed instructions.
- In the left panel of the dialog box, click Scheduled Scans, click New Scheduled Scan to start a wizard to help you design a custom scan.
- In the right panel, select the type of scan you want to schedule (Quick Scan, Full Scan,Custom Scan) and click Next to continue.
- Enter a Name: for the scan and a brief Description:, and click Next to continue.
- Select how often (Frequency) and time (When) to run the scan, and click Next to continue.
- Click Save to save the scan definition. The scan will run as specified.