HP Officejet 5605 All-in-One Printer support
HP Officejet 5600 All-in-One Printer Series- Setting up the All-in-One (Hardware)
This document explains how to set up the physical parts of the product. Complete these steps before you install the product software on your computer. If you already set up the product hardware, and need software installation help, see Links to Software Installation Instructions at the end of this document.
This document includes the following steps to set up the product:
- Unpack the All-in-One
- Check the contents of the box
- Attach the control panel faceplate
- Attach the trays and load paper
- Connect the power cord and adapter
- Connect the supplied phone cord
- Select the language/region
- Install the cartridges
- Align the cartridges
Setting up the All-in-One
Follow these steps in order. When you are finished, you can click the appropriate link at the end of this document if you need instructions to install the product software.
CAUTION:Do NOT connect the USB cable now. If you need a USB cable to connect the product to the computer, you will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.
Step one: Unpack the All-in-One
Remove all tape and cardboard packing material from the outside and inside of the product.
Step two: Check the contents of the box
The contents might vary by country/region. See the packaging for a list of items shipped in the box.
Step three: Attach the control panel faceplate
The control panel faceplate must be in place for the product to work. If the control panel faceplate is not already attached, do the following:
Step four: Attach the trays and load paper
- Insert the tabs of the bottom tray into the product, and then lower the tray until it is flat.
- Slide the paper adjuster to the left.
- Insert plain white paper.
- Insert the top edge of the output tray into the light gray latches, and then lower it.
- Open the paper tray extender.
Step five: Connect the power cord and adapter
- Plug the printer end of the power adapter into the back of the product.
- Plug the adapter end of the power cord into the power adapter.
- Plug the remaining end of the power cord into a grounded wall outlet or surge protector.
Step six: Connect the supplied phone cord
Step seven: Select the language/region
- When prompted, use the arrow keys to select your language, press OK , and then confirm.
- When prompted, use the arrow keys to select your country/region, press OK , and then confirm.
Step eight: Install the cartridges
- Lower the access door, and then wait for the carriage that holds the cartridges to move to the right side.
- Pull the pink tab to remove the tape from both cartridges.Figure 12: Remove the tape1 - Copper-colored contacts2 - Plastic tape with pink pull tab (must be removed before installing)3 - Ink nozzles under tape
- Slide each new cartridge forward into its empty slot, and then gently push on the upper part of the cartridge until it snaps into place.Insert the tri-color cartridge into the left slot.Insert the black or photo cartridge into the right slot.
- Close the access door.
Step nine: Align the cartridges
After you insert the cartridges, a message displays indicating that the product is ready for alignment.
- Make sure you have letter or A4 unused plain white paper loaded in the input tray, and then press OK .The alignment page prints. (This might take a few minutes.)NOTE:If you have colored paper loaded in the input tray when you align the print cartridges, the alignment will fail. Load unused plain white paper into the input tray, and then try the alignment again.
- Lift the lid. Place the top of the alignment page face-down on the left front corner of the scanner glass. Close the lid.
- Press OK to begin the alignment.The HP All-in-One aligns the cartridges. After the On light stops blinking, a message appears on the display to indicate that alignment is complete. Recycle or discard the alignment page.
Links to software installation instructions
After you complete the previous setup steps, you can install the product software with the product CD or by downloading the software from the HP Web site. For instructions, click the link for your computer operating system.
CAUTION:For USB connections, do NOT connect the USB cable yet. You will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.