HP Deskjet 5440 Photo Printer support
Check Ink Levels
You can check the ink levels in the cartridges with the HP software or through the application from which you want to print.
The Ink Status window might also display automatically when you print a document. If you do not want to see this window every time you print, select the Do not show this again option, and then click Close . If you turned this option off, you can use the following steps to check the ink levels at any time.
NOTE:Ink level warnings and indicators provide estimates for planning purposes only. When an indicator shows low ink levels, consider having a replacement ink cartridge available to avoid possible printing delays. Print quality deteriorates as cartridges run out of ink.
Check ink levels
Use one of the following methods to check the ink levels.
NOTE:If you have installed a refilled or remanufactured print cartridge or a cartridge that has been used in another printer, the ink level indicator will be inaccurate or unavailable.
HP Solution Center is software that acts as a centralized point of access for tasks such as scanning, printing, and copying. The software is part of the software package that comes with your product. When you perform a standard installation of the HP software, HP Solution Center is automatically installed.
You must have the full-feature print driver, which includes HP Solution Center, installed to use this method. If you do not have the full-feature print driver installed on your computer, you can install it now. Alternatively, you can use Method two: Check ink levels from the software program to check the ink levels.
NOTE:In Windows 7, the full-feature print driver is only available for the HP Photosmart 2570 series products.
Follow these steps to download and install the lasted driver for your printer.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads . If prompted, type your printer model number, click Go , and then click Drivers .
- Make sure that your operating system is selected, and then click Next .
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver .
- Click Download , and then follow the on-screen instructions to save the software to your computer.
- Open the folder where the software file saved (usually Downloads ), double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Open HP Solution Center.
- Windows XP : On the Windows taskbar, click Start , click All Programs , point to HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Windows Vista : On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Windows 7 : Click the Windows icon ( ), click Programs , click HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
- Click Settings , and then click Printer Toolbox .
- Click the Device Services tab, and then click the Estimated Ink Levels tab.Figure 2: Estimated ink levelsNOTE:A cartridge might be running out of ink even if the graphic shows that ink remains in the cartridge. Lines or streaks appear in printouts when the cartridges begin to run out of ink. Replace ink cartridges that are out of or low on ink.
Follow these steps to check the ink levels from the software program with which you want to print.
- In the software program, click File , click Print , and then click Properties .
- Click the Services tab, and then click the Service This Device icon ( ).The printer Toolbox opens.
- Click the Estimated Ink Levels tab to see the estimated ink levels in each cartridge.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum