HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One Printer support
'Out of Paper' Error Message and the Printer Does Not Pick Up or Feed Paper
An Out of paper error message appears on the computer, and the product does not pick up or feed paper from the paper tray.
Complete the following steps in the order provided.
Step one: Reset the product
- Without turning the product off, remove the power cord from the back of the product.
- Wait 30 seconds and then plug the power cord into the back of the product.
- If the product is not already on, use the On button to turn it on.
Step two: Check the condition of the paper and reload it
- Replace any paper that is ripped, dusty, curled, wrinkled, or bent.NOTE:Use only plain, white, unused paper in the product until the issue is resolved.
- Make sure that all the paper is the same size and type. Because only one type of paper can be used in the product at a time, paper types should never be mixed.
- Tap the stack of paper on a flat surface to align the edges.
- Make sure that the stack of paper to be loaded in the product is no smaller than 10 and no larger than 25 sheets of paper.NOTE:Do not load too much paper in the product.
- Insert the stack of paper into the product and gently push the paper guides snugly against the paper. Make sure that the paper is completely inserted into the product and can be picked up by the paper rollers.
- Try printing again. If the issue is not resolved, try loading different brands of paper and different types of paper, one type at a time, into the product and then try printing again.If the issue persists, continue with the next step.
Step three: Adjust the paper settings in the print driver
The paper settings in the print driver must match the paper settings for at least one of the installed paper trays.
- Open a document in the program being used to print.
- Click File, click Print, and then click Properties. The product Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Paper/Quality tab.
- Choose the appropriate paper size from the Size is drop-down menu.
- Choose the appropriate paper type from the Type is drop-down menu.
- Click OK and then click OK again to print the document..
- If the issue is not resolved, continue with the next section.
NOTE:If the issue is resolved and it is necessary to print on another type of paper, load the new paper type into the product and then repeat steps 2 through 7 for the new paper.These changes do not change the default print settings. The print settings return to the default the next time the program is opened.
Step four: If necessary, obtain the HP Paper Feed Cleaning Kit
NOTE:This cleaning kit only works with the following product series:Locate the serial number on the product.
If your product is not listed, skip to Step five: Clean the rollers
|Deskjet 5440 series||Photosmart 7800 series|
|Deskjet 5940 series||Photosmart 8000 series|
|Photosmart 3100 series||Photosmart 8200 series|
|Photosmart 3100 series||PSC 1510 series|
|Photosmart 3200 series||PSC 1600 series|
|Photosmart 3300 series||PSC 2350 series|
- If the third and fourth digits of the serial number are 56, 57, 58, 59, 5A, 5B, 5C, or 61, then use one of the Contact HP links on this page to contact a support representative. If the product is still under warranty, the support representative will send a free HP Paper Feed Cleaning Kit (part number c9000-67901).If the product is no longer under warranty, this kit can be purchased from HP online. Click here for region/country ordering information.
- If the third and fourth digits of the serial number are not listed, the special cleaning kit is not necessary. Continue with the next step.
NOTE:The HP Paper Feed Cleaning Kit requires the product to be connected to a computer running Windows 2000 or XP with a USB connection. If the product is not already connected with a USB cable, connect it before using the HP Paper Feed Cleaning Kit.
Step five: Clean the rollers
- Turn off the product and unplug the power cord.
- Open the access door to gain access to the rollers. Depending on the model, this is usually the rear access door. See the product user guide for information about locating the rollers.
- Clean the rubber rollers with a lint-free cloth, lightly moistened with water.NOTE:Distilled, filtered, or bottled water is recommended for cleaning the rollers. Tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the rollers.
- Make sure that any paper rollers that rest on the input tray, which are located behind the back rollers, are cleaned. A clean cotton swab, lightly moistened with water, might be necessary to reach these rollers.
- Close the access door and plug in the power cord.
- Try printing again. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next step.
Step six: Service the product
These steps apply to all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
If you have completed all the preceding steps and are still experiencing a problem, service the product.
Determine if your product is in warranty or out of warranty. If you need help determining your product’s warranty status, go to HP’s Warranty Check Tool .
- If your product is in warranty, contact HP.
- If your product is out of warranty, fees might apply for contacting HP.
Any of the following issues can cause this issue:
- The paper trays are empty or overloaded.
- The paper is curled.
- The print side, or shiny side, of the paper is not loaded in the tray face down. For photo paper, always load the rougher side of the paper facing up.
- The paper is too slick for the product.
- The paper might not be engaged with the feed rollers.
- The paper-width guide is pressed against the paper stack too tightly.
- The paper tray is not completely inserted into the product.
- The paper settings in the print driver do not match the paper loaded in the paper tray.
- The rubber paper-feed rollers are dusty.