HP Photosmart 318 Digital Camera support
Charge the Batteries
This document describes how to charge the batteries. This camera can use rechargeable AA batteries available from many retail stores.
NOTE:HP recommends using Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries for best performance. Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) batteries are not recommended.
Before charging the batteries
Charging the batteries safely
Always follow these safety precautions when charging AA batteries:
- Do not charge any batteries other than Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) or Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) batteries in the camera, the camera dock, or the recharger.
- Insert the batteries in the correct orientation.
- Use the camera, dock, or recharger in a dry location only.
- Do not charge batteries in a hot location, such as in direct sunlight or near a fire.
- When charging batteries, do not cover the camera, dock, or recharger.
- Do not operate the camera, dock, or recharger if the batteries are damaged.
- Do not disassemble the camera, dock, or recharger.
- Unplug the AC power adapter or recharger from the electrical outlet before cleaning them.
Maintaining the batteries
The amount of charge that rechargeable AA batteries can hold gradually decreases because of usage, aging, and lack of maintenance. To maintain your rechargeable batteries at maximum capacity, "condition" them when they are new or have not been used for over a month. Follow the steps below:
- Completely discharge the batteries by using the camera normally until it will not operate.
- Recharge the batteries.
- Do this three or four times.
Charge the batteries in an external battery charger
Charge the batteries in an external battery charger. Battery chargers are available from many retail stores.
NOTE:To stop using battery power, connect the AC power adapter to the camera. If the AC adapter is connected to the camera, even if it is not connected to a power source, the camera will not use battery power. The optional AC power adapter provides power for the camera but does NOT recharge the batteries.