This document explains how to set up the physical parts of the product. Complete these steps before you install the product software on your computer. If you already set up the product hardware, and need software installation help, see Links to Software Installation Instructions at the end of this document.
This document includes the following steps to set up the product:
- Unpack the All-in-One
- Check the contents of the box
- Attach the control panel faceplate (if not attached)
- Lift the color graphics display
- Connect the power cord and adapter
- Turn the All-in-One on
- Load plain white paper
- Install the cartridges
- Align the cartridges
Setting up the All-in-One
Follow these steps in order. When you are finished, you can click the appropriate link at the end of this document if you need instructions to install the product software.
CAUTION:Do NOT connect the USB cable now. If you need a USB cable to connect the product to the computer, you will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.
Step one: Unpack the All-in-One
Step two: Check the contents of the box
The contents might vary by country/region. See the packaging for a list of items shipped in the box.
Step three: Attach the control panel faceplate
If the control panel faceplate is not already attached, do the following:
- Place the control panel faceplate over the buttons on the product.
- Press down firmly on all edges of the faceplate to secure it.
NOTE:The control panel faceplate must be attached for the product to operate.
Step four: Lift the color graphics display
Remove the protective film from the display screen, and then lift it up for better viewing.
Step five: Connect the power cord and adapter
Step six: Turn the All-in-One on
- On the product control panel, press the On button.The green light flashes and then becomes solid. This might take up to a minute.
- Wait for the cartridge prompt on the display before continuing.
Step seven: Load plain white paper
- Open the paper tray door.
- Pull the output tray extender toward you, as far as it will go. Flip the paper catch at the end of the output tray extender to open the extender the rest of the way.
- Squeeze and hold the tab on the top of the paper-width guide, then slide the paper-width guide outward as far as it will go.
- Load plain white paper. Slide the stack of paper forward until it stops.
- Slide the paper guide inward until it stops at the edge of the paper.NOTE:Do not overload the paper tray; make sure the stack of paper fits within the paper tray and is no higher than the top of the paper-width guide.
Step eight: Install the cartridges
Leave the product turned on to install the cartridges.
- Open the cartridge access door. The carriage that holds the cartridges moves to the right.
- Remove any old cartridges from the product, if necessary.
- Pull the pink tab to remove the protective tape from the new cartridges.
- With the label up, insert each cartridge into the appropriate slot, and then push the cartridge firmly into the slot until it snaps into place.
- Insert the black cartridge in the slot on the right side, marked with a black and orange label.
- The tri-color cartridge in the slot on the left side, marked with a green label.
- Close the cartridge door.
Step nine: Align the cartridges
- On the product control panel, press OK at the prompt to start cartridge alignment.The alignment might take a few minutes. After the alignment page prints, alignment is complete.
- Check the display for status, and then press OK .
Links to software installation instructions
After you complete the previous setup steps, you can install the product software with the product CD or by downloading the software from the HP Web site. For instructions, click the link for your computer operating system.
CAUTION:For USB connections, do NOT connect the USB cable yet. You will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.