HP Pavilion dm4-1065dx Entertainment Notebook PC support
Entering Safe Mode
This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs with Windows Vista.
Using Safe Mode
Running Windows in Safe Mode allows you to troubleshoot and correct problems that have occurred in Normal Mode. When starting in Safe Mode, Windows runs with a minimum set of drivers, and the screen appears different than usual.
After you have corrected the problem, restart the computer in Normal Mode.
Enter Safe Mode at startup
Follow the steps below to start Windows Vista in Safe Mode.
- Remove all CDs and DVDs from the computer.
- Restart the computer.
- At the first screen on restart, before the HP or Windows logo appears, press the f8 key repeatedly.
- When prompted, select the Safe Mode with Networking option.
- Log onto the computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
Enter Safe Mode when PC is operating
If the computer can boot into the Vista operating system, follow the steps below to enter Safe Mode.
- Click Start, type msconfig in the search field, and then press the enter to open the System Configuration window.
- On the General tab of the System Configuration window, select Diagnostic startup.
- On the Boot tab, select Safe boot and click OK.
- When prompted, click Restart to start the computer in Safe Mode.If the computer does not restart automatically, press the Power button to turn the power on.
- On the Tools tab of the System Configuration window, select and launch the desired diagnostic tool.
The computer is now operating in Safe Mode.
Exit the Safe Mode
After completing the required troubleshooting and repair, follow the steps below to exit Safe Mode and return to normal operation.
- Click Start, type msconfig in the search field, and then press enter to open the System Configuration window.
- On the General tab of the System Configuration window, select Normal startup and click OK.
The computer restarts in the normal mode.