HP Pavilion dv8000 CTO Notebook PC support
Using HP Update
HP Update utility checks for and downloads updates of your computer's firmware, or Basic Input/Output System (BIOS), software, and drivers. It can also help you update the security and functionality of your Windows Vista operating system.
HP Update was installed on notebook PCs that shipped with Vista and it is supplied with the installation of programs for HP printers and accessories. While it is helpful for locating drivers and accessories, it is recommended that HP Support Assistant is used on a scheduled basis to get updated drivers for all HP equipment. To learn more about how you can use HP Support Assistant to upgrade your drivers and improve your computer's performance, see HP Notebook PCs - Installing and Using HP Support Assistant .
Using HP Update
To start HP Update, follow the steps below. You may also follow these steps to verify if the program is installed on your PC. You will need to be connected to the Internet to obtain your updates.
- Click Start , then select Help and Support .
- Select Software Drivers, and BIOS Updates on the HP Help and Support window, click Get updates from HP , and then click Click here to run HP Update now.
- When HP Update appears, select it. The Welcome to HP Update screen will appear.Figure 1: HP Software Update windowNOTE:As an alternate method for starting the HP Update utility, you may access the HP Help and Support utility by clicking Start , and typing Update in the Search field. When HP Update entry appears, select it.
- On the Welcome to HP Update screen, click Settings to set the utility to run on a predefined schedule.Figure 2: HP Update welcome screen
- Select one of the options to either notify you before it checks for updates, or only when an update is ready for installation.
- Select the frequency to be used when checking for HP software updates.
- Click OK to accept your selections.
- On the Welcome to HP Update screen, click Next to check for updates.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to download updates that HP recommends for your machine and operating system. If no updates are available, click Finish to exit the program.