Compaq Presario V3000Z CTO Notebook PC support
Availability of Software and Drivers for Vista Capable PCs
This document pertains to HP Vista Capable Notebook PCs.
Locating drivers and software for Vista Capable notebook PCs
For PCs upgraded from Windows XP to Vista, the Vista operating system upgrade disk provides generic drivers. Use the Windows Vista Update feature to check for updated Microsoft drivers. To ensure compliance with our highest standards for quality, HP continually tests these drivers and releases updated HP specific Vista drivers as needed.
To determine if there are HP Vista drivers for your PC, go to the Software and Drivers Download page and search for your specific PC model. If HP specific Vista drivers are not listed, use the default Microsoft drivers.
Use Product Support page for drivers for a specific product
If your PC is using the Vista OS, install the HP Update utility to automatically check for new software and drivers for your PC. See Use the HP Update utility to check for updates for more details.
If your PC currently has the Windows XP OS, but you would like to upgrade to Vista, but aren't sure if Vista drivers are available for your notebook, follow the steps below to check for driver updates manually.
- The Help & Support function, installed on every HP computer, provides an easy way to keep your software up to date.
- Click Start > Help and Support.
- On the HP Help and Support web page, click Software Drivers, and BIOS updates.
- On the Software, Drivers, and BIOS updates page, follow the step-by-step instructions to find and install updates for Windows, Microsoft, and HP programs.
Use the HP Update utility to check for updates
For PCs using the Vista OS, the HP Upgrade utility can be downloaded and used to automatically check for and install critical HP updates.
- Open your web browser and go to the HP Drivers and Downloads Web site.
- On the page that appears, type sp34261 in the Search field at the top of the page, and then press Enter.
- Click the link provided to download the HP Update installation file, and follow the prompts to install the file.
- To launch the HP Update, Click Start > All Programs HP > HP Update.
- On the HP Update Welcome screen, click Settings and select a time when the utility should check for software updates on the Web.
- Click Next to immediately check for updates.
Use the Windows Update to check for updates
The Microsoft Windows function can be set to automatically check for and install updates for the Vista operating system and other Microsoft software.
- Open a browser, go to the Microsoft Web site, and select Security & Updates.
- Select Microsoft Update to get the latest updates for your computer's operating system, software applications, and hardware.
- Follow the instructions to install the Microsoft Update. If prompted by the user account control, click Continue to permit the program to run.
- Click Change settings and select a time when the Microsoft Update should check for updates to Windows and other products.
Non-Vista Capable Notebook PCs
Some HP notebook PCs are not designed to operate in the Vista operating system and therefore are not certified as Vista Capable. If your PC does not display the Vista Capable logo shown below, it is a non-capable PC and HP provides no Vista drivers or updates. Microsoft Corporation, and other third party vendors may offer updated drivers for Vista, however HP does not post such drivers on the Web site and does not support their use.