HP Photosmart C4270 All-in-One Printer support
HP Photosmart C4200 All-in-One Printer Series- Setting up the All-in-One (Hardware)
This document explains how to set up the physical parts of the product. Complete these steps before you install the product software on your computer. If you already set up the product hardware, and need software installation help, see Links to Software Installation Instructions at the end of this document.
This document includes the following steps to set up the product:
- Unpack the All-in-One
- Check the contents of the box
- Connect the power cord and adapter
- Turn on power
- Select the language/region
- Load plain paper
- Install the cartridges
- Align the cartridges
Setting up the All-in-One
Follow these steps in order. When you are finished, you can click the appropriate link at the end of this document if you need instructions to install the product software.
CAUTION:Do NOT connect the USB cable now. If you need a USB cable to connect the product to the computer, you will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.
Step one: Unpack the All-in-One
Step two: Check the contents of the box
The contents might vary by country/region. See the packaging for a list of items shipped in the box.
Step three: Connect the power cord and adapter
Step four: Turn on power
Press the On button ( ) on the control panel to turn on the product.
Step five: Select the language/region
- When the control panel display prompts you, use the buttons to the left of the display to select your language, select OK , and then confirm.
- When the control panel display prompts you, use the buttons to the left of the display to select your country/region, select OK , and then confirm.
Step six: Load plain paper
- Pull the tray extender out as far as it will go.
- Slide the paper-width guide to its outermost position.
- Tap a stack of plain white letter or A4 paper on a flat surface to align the edges, and then check the paper for the following:
- Make sure it is free of rips, dust, wrinkles, and curled or bent edges.
- Make sure all the paper in the stack is the same size and type.
- Insert the stack of paper into the input tray with the short edge forward and the print side down. Slide the stack of paper forward until it stops.CAUTION:Make sure that the product is idle and silent when you load paper into the input tray. If the product is servicing the print cartridges or otherwise engaged in a task, the paper stop inside the device might not be in place. You could push the paper too far forward, causing the product to eject blank pages.
- Slide the paper-width guide inward until it stops at the edge of the paper.Do not overload the input tray; make sure the stack of paper fits within the input tray and is no higher than the top of the paper-width guide.
- Press the button next to OK on the control panel display.
Step seven: Install the cartridges
NOTE:The product must be on before you can insert the cartridges.
- Open the cartridge door.
- Make sure the carriage moves to the right. If it does not move to the right, turn the device off, then turn it back on again.
- Open the packaging and remove the tape from both cartridges.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or re-tape the cartridges.
- Hold the cartridges with the HP logo on top.
- Insert tri-color cartridge in the left cartridge slot and the black cartridge in the right cartridge slot .
- Push the cartridge firmly into the slot until it snaps into place.
- Close the cartridge door.
Step eight: Align the cartridges
When a new cartridge is installed, the product aligns the cartridge. Align the cartridges at any other time by using the software installed with the product. Aligning the cartridges ensures high-quality output.
NOTE:If a cartridge is removed and reinserted, the product will not prompt for an alignment. The product memory retains the alignment values for that cartridge.
Follow these steps to align newly installed cartridges.
- When prompted, make sure that plain, white letter or A4 paper is loaded in the input tray, and then press the button next to OK . The alignment page prints.
- Lift the lid. Place the top of the alignment page face-down on the front, right corner of the scanner glass.
- Close the lid.
- Press the button next to OK .When the On button stops flashing, the alignment is complete and the page can be removed.
Links to software installation instructions
After you complete the previous setup steps, you can install the product software with the product CD or by downloading the software from the HP Web site. For instructions, click the link for your computer operating system.
CAUTION:For USB connections, do NOT connect the USB cable yet. You will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.