HP Photosmart C4280 All-in-One Printer support
Replacing Print Cartridges
This document provides steps to replace print cartridges.
Video of replacing print cartridges
The following video demonstrates the steps for replacing the cartridges. The product shown in the video is the HP Photosmart C4280. The outside of the product might look different, but the steps are similar for your product.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video (in English) on YouTube.
Replacing print cartridges
Follow these steps to replace print cartridges.
To purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer, go to HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Go to HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country or region location is correct.
Step one: Replace the old print cartridge
- Turn the product on.
- Make sure to have letter or A4 unused plain white paper loaded in the input tray.
- Open the print cartridge door.NOTE:Make sure the print carriage moves to the right. If it does not move to the right, turn the product off and turn it back on again.CAUTION:If the product is off when the print cartridge door is opened for access to the print cartridges, the product will not release the cartridges for changing. The product can be damaged if the print cartridges are not docked safely before removal.
- Wait until the print carriage is idle and silent, and then lightly press down on a print cartridge to release it.
- When replacing the tri-color print cartridge, remove the print cartridge from the slot on the left.
- When replacing the black or photo print cartridge, remove the print cartridge from the slot on the right.
- Pull the print cartridge toward you out of its slot.NOTE:When removing the black print cartridge in order to install the photo print cartridge, store the black print cartridge in the print cartridge protector or an airtight plastic container.
- Remove the new print cartridge from its packaging.
- Touch only the black plastic, and gently remove the plastic tape by using the pink pull tab.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or reattach the tape.
- Hold the cartridge with the HP logo on top.
- Gently push the upper part of the print cartridge forward until it clicks into the socket.
- When installing the tri-color ink cartridge, slide it into the left slot.
- When installing a black, photo, or gray photo ink cartridge, slide it into the right slot.
- Close the print cartridge door.
If a print cartridge(s) missing or not detected or carriage jam message appears, the carriage might have encountered an obstruction or is not moving correctly. Click here for instructions to clear the carriage jam (c00860153) (in English).
Step two: Align the new print cartridge
When a new cartridge is installed, the product aligns the cartridge. Align the cartridges at any other time by using the software installed with the product. Aligning the cartridges ensures high-quality output.
NOTE:If a cartridge is removed and reinserted, the product will not prompt for an alignment. The product memory retains the alignment values for that cartridge.
Follow these steps to align newly installed cartridges.
- When prompted, make sure that plain, white letter or A4 paper is loaded in the input tray, and then press the button next to OK. The alignment page prints.
- Lift the lid. Place the top of the alignment page face-down on the front, right corner of the scanner glass.
- Close the lid.
- Press the button next to OK.When the On button stops flashing, the alignment is complete and the page can be removed.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Photosmart C4200 and C4300 All-in-One Series Printers -- An 'Incompatible Cartridge' or 'Print cartridge is missing, incorrectly installed, or not intended for your device' Message Displays on the Computer
HP Photosmart C4200, C4340, and C4400 All-in-One Printer Series -- 'Paper Jam' Message Displays on the All-in-One