HP Photosmart C5250 All-in-One Printer support
Replacing the Print Cartridges
Follow these instructions to replace print cartridges.
NOTE:When the ink level for the print cartridge is low, a message appears on the display. Ink levels can also be checked by using the Printer Toolbox available through the HP Photosmart Software on your computer or through the Print Properties dialog box on your computer.
If you do not already have replacement print cartridges for the HP All-in-One, you can order them by clicking the Shop for HP Supplies icon on your computer. On a Windows computer this is located in the HP folder in the Start menu.
To replace the print cartridges
Perform the following steps to replace the print cartridges:
- Make sure the HP All-in-One is on.CAUTION:If the HP All-in-One is off when you open the print cartridge door to access the print cartridges, the HP All-in-One will not release the cartridges for changing. The HP All-in-One can get damaged if the print cartridges are not docked safely when trying to remove them.
- Open the print cartridge door.The print carriage moves to the far right side of the HP All-in-One.
- Wait until the print carriage is idle and silent, and then lightly press down on a print cartridge to release it.If replacing the tri-color print cartridge, remove the print cartridge from the slot on the left.
- Pull the print cartridge toward you out of its slot.NOTE:Remove the black print cartridge to install the photo or gray photo print cartridge, and store the black print cartridge in the print cartridge protector or an airtight plastic container.
- Remove the new print cartridge from its packaging, and carefully remove the black plastic tape by using the pink pull tabFigure 3: Removing the new print cartridge from its packaging1 - Copper-colored contacts2 - Plastic tape with pink pull tab (must be removed before installing)3 - Ink nozzles under tape
- Hold the print cartridge with the HP logo on top, and insert the new print cartridge into the empty cartridge slot. Make sure to push the print cartridge firmly until it snaps into place.If installing the tri-color print cartridge, slide it into the left slot. If installing a black, photo, or gray photo print cartridge, slide it into the right slot.
- Close the print cartridge door.HP All-in-One prints a print cartridge alignment page if a new print cartridge is installed.
- When prompted, ensure plain white paper is loaded in the input tray, and then press OK.
- The HP All-in-One prints a test page, aligns the print head, and calibrates the printer. Recycle or discard the page. A success or failure message appears.NOTE:If colored paper is loaded in the input tray when aligning the print cartridges, the alignment will fail. Load unused plain white paper into the input tray, and then try the alignment again.If the alignment fails again, you might have a defective sensor or print cartridge. Contact HP Support at www.hp.com/support If prompted, choose your country/region, and then click Contact HP technical support.
- Press OK to continue.
Other solutions customers found helpful
HP Photosmart C5200 All-in-One Printer Series -- A 'Print cartridge alignment failed' Error Message Displays on the All-in-One
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum