HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One Printer support
Windows: 'Error 1706' Displays on the Computer While Scanning
While scanning from HP Director or Solution Center in Microsoft Windows, an 'Error 1706' message displays on the computer. The 'Error 1706' message indicates that a particular file the HP software tries to use cannot be found. See the 'Cause' section at the end of this document for details.
Try the following solutions in the order presented to resolve the issue. When one of the solutions resolves the issue, there is no need to continue troubleshooting.
Solution: Install the missing file
Use one of the following methods to install the missing file indicated in the error message.
If you have the software CD that shipped with your product, follow these steps to install the missing file. If you do not have the software CD, use the method to Download and install the missing file from the HP Web site.
- Close the Locate File window that contains the 'Error 1706' message, if you have not already done so.
- Insert the HP software CD into the CD drive on the computer.
- If the HP installation screen opens, click Exit to cancel the installation.
- Open Windows Explorer:Right-click Start, and then click Explore. Windows Explorer opens in a new window.Right-click the Windows icon (), and then click Explore. Windows Explorer opens in a new window.Right-click the Windows icon (), and then click Open Windows Explorer. Windows Explorer opens in a new window.
- In the Folders pane of Windows Explorer, navigate to the CD drive on your computer.
- Click the Plus sign () next to the CD drive to expand the list.
- Click the Plus sign () next to the Setup folder.
- Click the Scan folder.
- Double-click the Scan.msi file icon (). The Windows Installer window opens, and then installs the missing file.
- Try to scan again.
- If the product scans successfully, the problem is fixed. There is no need to continue troubleshooting.
- If the product does not scan successfully, try the method to Download and install the missing file from the HP Web site.
If you do not have the software CD that shipped with your product, follow these steps to download the file from the HP Web site, and then install it.
Step one: Download the missing file from the HP website
- Close the Locate File window with the 'Error 1706' message, if you have not already done so.
- If prompted, type your product number, and then click Next. You might also need to click your model in a list of similar products.
- Use one of the available methods to identify your printer model.The software and driver results page displays when the printer model is identified.
- Check to see if your operating system is correctly identified. If your operating system is not correct, click Edit, select your operating system and version from the drop-down menus, and then click Update.
- Click Driver - Product Installation Software, and then click Download.
- If an HP Download and Install Assistant window displays, select Download only, and then click Next.NOTE:Do not click Install if prompted.
- When the File Download window opens, click Save.
- In the Save As window, select Desktop.
- Create a new folder on the desktop from within the Save As window:
- At the top of the Save As window, click the Create New Folder icon () to create a new folder on the Desktop.
- Name the folder with a meaningful title, such as 'HP Driver,' and then press Enter.
- Double-click the new folder you just created to open it.
- Click Save. The software downloads to your computer.
Step two: Install the missing file
- When the download is complete and you are ready to install the missing file, click Open Folder, and then click the downloaded file. The file name ends in .exe.NOTE:If you closed the Download Complete screen, browse to the folder where you saved the .exe file, and then click it.
- Click Run, and then wait while the file extracts.
- When the HP installation screen opens, click Exit to cancel the installer.
- Open the Run dialog box:Click Start, and then click Run.Click the Windows icon (), type Run in the Search programs and files box, and then press Enter.Click the Windows icon (), type Run in the Search box, and then press Enter.The Run dialog box opens in a new window.
- In the Open text box, type %temp%, and then press Enter. The Temp folder opens in a new window.NOTE:If the Temp folder displays in a one-pane view, click View, click Explorer Bar, and then click Folders to display the two-pane view.
- In the left pane, click the Plus sign () next to the folder that begins with 7XXXX or 7XXXX.tmp (the XXX values vary).NOTE:There might be more than one 7XXXX folder in the Temp folder on your computer. You might have to search through each of these folders until you find the associated file.
- Within the 7XXXX folder, click the Plus sign () next to the Setup folder.
- Within the Setup folder, click the Plus sign () next to the Scan folder.NOTE:If you cannot find the Scan folder, look for another 7XXXX folder, and then search again.
- Within the Scan folder, double-click the Scan.msi file icon ().The Windows Installer opens, and then installs the missing file.
The 'Error 1706' message displays because the Windows Installer cannot find the scan.msi file. Windows Installer cannot find the scan.msi file when, during CD software installation, the message that asks the user to insert the HP software CD is canceled without insertion of the CD.