Resolving HDMI Sound Issues with a Desktop Computer
This document pertains to HP or Compaq PCs with an HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) connector for connecting a monitor or TV.
If you use HDMI to connect your display, you must activate HDMI sound by adjusting your Windows settings .
If HDMI is not activated, you cannot hear any sound. Because of this, HP recommends that you connect analog speakers to the computer to hear sound during the initial setup of the computer.
Use the following steps to activate HDMI sound on your computer:
NOTE:If you ever perform an HP system recovery, you must repeat this procedure to activate sound for the HDMI connector.
- Right-click the Volume icon by the time in the lower-right corner.
- Click Playback Devices .The Sound window opens.
- On the Playback tab, click the following audio output device that is listed:
- Click Set Default .
- Click Apply .
- If you used Digital Output Device (HDMI) , click OK to close the window. This completes the steps to activate HDMI sound.
- If you used Realtek HDMI Output , continue with Step 6.
- Double-click Realtek HDMI Output .The Realtek Digital Output Properties window opens.
- Click the Supported Formats tab.
- Place a check in the 48.0 KHz check box, and make sure that there are no checks in the Dolby Digital check box and all other check boxes.NOTE:For most TVs to play back audio, the sample rate must be 48.0 KHz.
- Click OK to close the window.