HP Photosmart C7288 All-in-One Printer support
Setting up the All-in-One (Hardware)
This document explains how to set up the physical parts of the product. Complete these steps before you install the product software on your computer. If you already set up the product hardware, and need software installation help, see Links to Software Installation Instructions at the end of this document.
This document includes the following steps to set up the product:
- Unpack the All-in-One
- Check the contents of the box
- Attach the control panel faceplate (if not attached)
- Connect the supplied phone cord
- Connect the power cord and adapter
- Turn on power
- Select the language/region
- Set the date and time
- Install the cartridges
- Load plain paper
- Load paper in the photo tray
- Align the cartridges
Setting up the All-in-One
Follow these steps in order. When you are finished, you can click the appropriate link at the end of this document if you need instructions to install the printer software.
NOTE:Do not connect a USB cable now. If you plan to use a USB cable to connect the printer to the computer, you will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during the software installation.
Step one: Unpack the All-in-One
Step two: Check the contents of the box
The contents might vary by country/region. See the packaging for a list of items shipped in the box.
Step three: Attach the control panel faceplate (if not attached)
Step four: Connect the supplied phone cord
Connect one end of the supplied phone cord to the port labeled 1-LINE and the other to a wall jack.
Step five: Connect the power cord and adapter
- Connect the power cord to the power adapter.
- Connect the power adapter to the power adapter connection on the back of the HP All-in-One.
- Connect the power cord to a wall outlet or surge protector.
Step six: Turn on power
- Press the On button ( ) to turn on the HP All-in-One.
- After you press the On button ( ), wait for the prompt on the control panel display before continuing.
Step seven: Select the language/region
Follow these steps if the display prompts you to set the language and country/region.
Step eight: Set the date and time
- Press the Setup button ( ).
- Press the down arrow ( to highlight Tools , and then press OK .
- Press the down arrow ( to highlight Date and Time , and then press OK .
- Enter the month, day, and year by pressing the appropriate numbers on the keypad. Depending on your country/region setting, you might enter the date in a different order.
- Enter the hours and minutes.
- If your time is displayed in the 12-hour format, press 1 for AM, or 2 for PM. The new date and time settings appear on the display.
Step nine: Install the cartridges
NOTE:Use only the ink cartridges that came with the HP All-in-One. The ink in these cartridges is specially formulated to mix with the ink in the print head assembly at first-time setup.
Follow the steps below to install the ink cartridges.
- Open the access door by lifting from the front center of the HP All-in-One, until the door locks into place.
- Squeeze the bottom of each latch to release it, and then lift the latch.
- Lift all the six latches.
- Match the color and pattern of the ink cartridge to the color and pattern above the latches.
- Push the black ink cartridge into the first slot on the left, and close the latch.
- Repeat with each of the color ink cartridges.
- Make sure each latch is secure.
- Close the access door.
Step ten: Load plain paper in the main tray
- Pull the main tray extender towards you to extend the main tray.
- Load the paper with the side to be printed facing down. Verify that the stack of paper fits loosely under the tab on the paper-length guide.
Step eleven: Load paper in the photo tray
- Load up to 20 sheets of paper into the photo tray with the glossy side facing down. Make sure that the stack of paper fits loosely under the tab on the paper-length guide.Figure 16: Load the photo paper with the glossy side facing downNOTE:When using tabbed paper, insert the paper so that the tab is closest to you.
- Adjust the paper-width and paper-length guides inward until they stop at the edges of the paper.
- Push in the photo tray.
- Lower the output tray.
Step twelve: Align the cartridges
- Press the OK button to start the alignment process. Wait a few minutes for the the product to complete the alignment and print the alignment page.CAUTION:Do not disconnect or turn off the HP All-in-One during this time. You might hear the HP All-in-One making noises.
- After the alignment page is printed, check the display for status, and then press the OK button. Recycle or discard the alignment page.
Links to software installation instructions
After you complete the previous setup steps, you can install the printer software with the printer CD or by downloading the software from the HP website. For instructions, click the link for your operating system.
CAUTION:For USB connections, do not connect the USB cable yet. You will be prompted to connect it at the correct time during software installation.
|Network (Wired and Wireless) Connection|
|Installing the Printer Software on a Wireless or Wired (Ethernet) Network|