The Hewlett Packard Scanning software will not install properly. Errors may appear during installation, or the Install-Shield Wizard may stop responding or freeze.
Copy the scanning software folder from the HP CD-ROM disc to a new folder on the Desktop. Then restart the computer in Safe Mode and install the HP Scanning Software from the new folder. Follow the instructions below to complete these steps:
Step 1: Create a new folder on the Desktop
- Right-click the Desktop.
- Click New , and then Folder . A New Folder will appear on the Desktop.
- Type: SCANNING SOFTWARE to rename the folder.
- Press Enter on the keyboard.
Step 2: Copy the HP Scanning Software CD to the Desktop
- Insert the HP Scanning Software CD-ROM disc into your CD-ROM drive.NOTE: If the install program starts, click Cancel to close HP install software window.
- From the Windows Desktop, right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Explorer . The Windows Explorer window will open.
- Double-click the CD ROM drive icon (The HP icon may appear on the drive icon).
- Click Edit , and then SelectAll . All of the files and folders on the right side will highlight.
- Click Edit , and then Copy .
- Click the Scanning Software folder located on the left side of the screen.
- Click Edit , and then Paste . The HP Scanning Software CD disc is now copied to the computer system’s hard drive.
- Close the Windows Explorer window.NOTE: If having enough space available on the hard drive is a concern, copy the English folder and root files from the HP Scanning Software CD.
Step 3: Restart the computer system in Safe Mode
- Place a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive.
- Restart the computer.
- When the computer attempts to restart, a "Non-System Disk Error"will appear.
- Remove the blank floppy disk.
- Press the F8 key twice.
- From the menu that appears, select Safe Mode , and then press Enter. A message will indicate the computer is running in Safe Mode.
- Click OK .NOTE: The screen will appear grainy because Safe Mode displays only 16 colors.
Step 4: Install the HP Scanning Software
- From the Desktop, double-click the Scanning Software folder.
- Double-click the Setup.exe file. This file may be located with the root files, in the English folder, or in the hpsw folder, depending on the HP Scanning Software being installed.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to complete the installation.
- Restart the computer system.
- Delete the Scanning Software folder from the Desktop.