HP Photosmart C4385 All-in-One Printer support
Setting up the All-in-One (Hardware)
This document explains how to set up the physical parts of the product. Complete these steps before you install the product software on your computer.
This document includes the following steps to set up the product:
- Unpack the All-in-One
- Check the contents of the box
- Connect the power cord and adapter
- Press the On button
- Select the language and country/region
- Install the cartridges
- Load plain paper
- Align the cartridges
Setting up the All-in-One
Follow these steps in order. When you are finished, you can click the appropriate link at the end of this document if you need instructions to install the printer software.
Step one: Unpack the All-in-One
Step two: Check the contents of the box
The contents might vary by country/region. See the packaging for a list of items shipped in the box.
Step three: Connect the power cord and adapter
Connect the power cord and adapter to the back of the product and the electrical outlet.
Step four: Press the On button
Step five: Select the language and country/region
If the display prompts you to set the language and country/region, follow these steps:
- Use the arrows on the display to select your language from the list of up to 25 languages, press OK, and then confirm.
- Select your country/region, press OK, and then confirm.
Step six: Install the cartridges
NOTE:The product must be turned on before you can insert the cartridges. When the product is turned on, the carriage is on the right side.
- Open the cartridge door.
- Remove the tape from the cartridges.CAUTION:Do not touch the copper-colored contacts or re-tape the cartridges.
- Insert each cartridge as follows:
- Hold the cartridge with the HP logo on top.
- Insert the tri-color cartridge in the left cartridge slot and the black or photo cartridge in the right cartridge slot.
- Make sure you push the cartridges in firmly until they snap into place.
- Close the cartridge door.
- Press OK when prompted to confirm the installation of genuine HP cartridges.
Step seven: Load plain paper
- Lower the output tray to load paper into the main input tray.
- Slide the paper-width guide to its outermost position.
- Check your paper for the following requirements.
- Make sure it is unused, plain white paper.
- Make sure it is free of rips, dust, wrinkles, and curled or bent edges.
- Make sure all the paper in the stack is the same size and shape.
- Tap the stack of paper on a flat surface to align the edges.
- Insert the stack of paper into the main input tray with the short edge forward and the print side down. Slide the stack of paper forward until it stops.
- Slide the paper-width guide inward until it stops at the edge of the paper. Do not overload the main input tray; make sure the stack of paper fits within the main input tray and is no higher than the top of the paper-width guide.CAUTION:Make sure that the product is idle and silent when you load paper into the main input tray. If the product is servicing the print cartridges or is otherwise engaged in a task, the paper stop inside the product might not be in place. You could push the paper too far forward, causing the product to eject blank pages.
- Lower the output tray.
- Pull out the output tray extension as far as it will go.
Step eight: Align the cartridges
- On the product control panel, press OK at each of the prompts to start cartridge alignment. Wait a few minutes while the alignment page prints.
- Lift the lid, and then place the top of the alignment page face-down in the front right corner of the glass.
- Close the lid, and then press OK.