If top cover of the product is open or the open door sensor is broken, the following message displays: The cover is open . The document fails to print and the product driver status changes to Door Open . The document to be printed is added to the print queue.
Follow the steps to resolve the issue.
Step one: Check the door
- Close the door properly. Make sure it is closed and completely seated in the body of the product
- Click OK to print the document.If this does not resolve the issue, continue to the next step.
Step two: Reset the printer
- Unplug the USB cable from the back of the product.
- Remove the power cord from the electrical outlet on the wall and the power supply cord from the product. Wait for 30 seconds and connect the power cord back to the wall electrical outlet and the power supply cord into the product.
- After the product has turned on, connect the USB cable to the product.If the error message The cover is open still displays or if the driver status still shows Door Open , continue to the next step.
Step three: Check the door sensor activator
- Open the top cover and inspect the plastic sensor activator found on the lower left side of the top cover.If the plastic sensor activator is broken, go to Step four.
- While keeping the top cover open, insert a cotton swab to press and hold the door sensor down.If the carriage moves away from the middle of the product, there is no problem with the door sensor. The error message disappears from the screen.If the Cover is Open error message does not disappear from the computer, unplug the USB Cable and reinstall the product software.If reinstalling the product software does not resolve the issue, go to the next step.
Step four: Service the product
If you have completed all the preceding steps and are still experiencing a problem, service the product.
Determine if your product is in warranty or out of warranty. If you need help determining your product’s warranty status, go to HP’s Warranty Check Tool .
- If your product is in warranty , contact HP.
- If your product is out of warranty , click here to view additional printer support options starting as low as $20.